ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Five new Korean Jesuit priests will welcome the Pope
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - There will be five new Korean Jesuit priests in the Catholic community as it prepares to welcome Pope Francis in his next trip to Korea (14-18 August): the Society of Jesus in Korea has in fact celebrated five new members who were ordained to priesthood. The five are: Andrew Sung-gyoon Lee, Simon Mon-hoi Kim, Benedict On-dohk Kang, Thomas Min Han and Igwan Su-yun Park. As reported to Fides, the five were ordained on July 2 at the Cathedral of Seoul. More than 1,500 faithful attended the ordination, and the Mass was presided by Mgr. Peter Chung Soon-taek OCD, Auxiliary Bishop of Seoul, and concelebrated by 80 priests.
Fr. Andrew Lee, 45, studied and worked in the Pastoral of the Jesuits in the Philippines. Fr. Simon Kim, 40, entered the Society in 2003, and completed his theological studies in France. Fr. Benedict Kang, 37, entered the Society in 2004, and lived and studied theology in Australia. Fr. Thomas Han, 37, is specialized in mass media. Fr. Igwan Park, 35, is an engineer, he entered the Society of Jesus in 2004, then studied in the Philippines.
Three of the five (Lee, Kim and Park) will now dedicate themselves to pastoral work in Korea, while the two (Kang and Han) will continue their studies in Australia.
Fr. John Sin SJ, Jesuit Provincial of Korea, asked the community to pray for the new priests, praising God "for the abundant blessing of vocations", and for the new priests who "will continue to serve the Church and the people of God". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2014)
- 2015-05-15 - Cardinal Yeom approves the march for peace in the demilitarized zone
- 2014-11-10 - Two other US citizens released
- 2014-11-07 - An American arrested for a Bible has been released
- 2014-07-26 - Five new Korean Jesuit priests will welcome the Pope
- 2014-05-21 - North Korea: Religious freedom denied
- 2013-06-22 - Year of Faith: "Small Christian Communities" to revitalize the people of God
- 2013-05-02 - An American sentenced to hard labor: religions call for dialogue
- 2012-04-14 - The "Day of the Sun" obscured by darkness on human rights
- 2012-04-03 - Christians and NGOs to the UN: Stop to the gulag in North Korea
- 2012-01-10 - Kim Jong-un has announced an amnesty, the NGOs ask for "a new era for human rights"