ASIA/PAKISTAN - Also displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan: no to discrimination
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - There are also internally displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan, an area where the Pakistani government has in recent weeks launched an anti-terrorism offensive against Taliban groups. As reported to Fides, 65 Christian families and 15 Hindu families have left the city and the villages of Miranshah in North Waziristan, taking refuge in Christian schools in the city of Bunnu, run by the "Church of Pakistan" (Anglican Community).
According to government sources, there are about one million displaced, 74% are women and children, and are assisted in governmental buildings. The displaced Christians and Hindus have not been officially registered in the district of Bunnu, they cannot receive the assistance and benefits assured to other refugees. The local Christian communities therefore call on the government to deal with the refugees, who are all Pakistani citizens, "all in the same way", without any discrimination based on religion.
An innocent was killed during the offensive against the Taliban. As reported to Fides by the "Asian Human Rights Commission," Anisur Rehman Soomro, a 17-year-old citizen from Sindh, was arrested, illegally detained for eleven days, tortured and killed by the police in Karachi, accused of being a member of a Taliban group. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2014
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Young Christian woman abducted and forced into Islamic marriage
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Every year a thousand Christian and Hindu girls suffer forced conversion to Islam and abuse
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Minor Christian girl sold and abused
- 2015-07-22 - The Dominican Channan: "Dialogue with Islam to change the blasphemy law"
- 2015-07-22 - Asia Bibi's case before the Supreme Court: sentence suspended and review of the case
- 2015-07-21 - Two Christian brothers arrested on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-07-07 - The government bans to translate holy Islamic terms
- 2015-07-02 - The police save a Christian accused of blasphemy from being lynched
- 2015-07-01 - Three missionary nuns forced to leave Pakistan
- 2015-06-30 - A thousand victims in five days due to heatwave