ASIA/PAKISTAN - Also displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan: no to discrimination
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - There are also internally displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan, an area where the Pakistani government has in recent weeks launched an anti-terrorism offensive against Taliban groups. As reported to Fides, 65 Christian families and 15 Hindu families have left the city and the villages of Miranshah in North Waziristan, taking refuge in Christian schools in the city of Bunnu, run by the "Church of Pakistan" (Anglican Community).
According to government sources, there are about one million displaced, 74% are women and children, and are assisted in governmental buildings. The displaced Christians and Hindus have not been officially registered in the district of Bunnu, they cannot receive the assistance and benefits assured to other refugees. The local Christian communities therefore call on the government to deal with the refugees, who are all Pakistani citizens, "all in the same way", without any discrimination based on religion.
An innocent was killed during the offensive against the Taliban. As reported to Fides by the "Asian Human Rights Commission," Anisur Rehman Soomro, a 17-year-old citizen from Sindh, was arrested, illegally detained for eleven days, tortured and killed by the police in Karachi, accused of being a member of a Taliban group. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2014
- 2014-12-22 - Christmas: solidarity with the victims of the massacre in Peshawar
- 2014-12-19 - False accusations of blasphemy towards 11 Christians
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: a minute of silence in Catholic schools, at Christmas prayer for peace
- 2014-12-17 - Civil society: "The Taliban and Pakistan are incompatible"
- 2014-12-17 - "Justice and Peace" Commission: after the massacre in Peshawar it is urgent to "rediscover unity"
- 2014-12-16 - Land grabbing, instrument of oppression against Christians
- 2014-12-09 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A Christian woman beaten and humiliated: justice moves
- 2014-12-05 - Missio Christmas Campaign for Asia Bibi
- 2014-12-04 - Archbishop Coutts: “Advent in the spirit of love of neighbour”
- 2014-11-29 - Pakistani Christians in Italy: motion for religious freedom