AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"
Brownsville (Agenzia Fides) - The situation of children and young Central Americans stopped at the U.S. border with Mexico, in Texas, continues to present itself as a state of authentic humanitarian crisis (see Fides 24/06/2014; 28/06/2014). The Bishop of Brownsville, His Exc. Mgr. Daniel Ernest Flores, visited, together with a group of religious leaders of the Convención de Bautistas del Sur, the different facilities that welcome the children who are stopped.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Flores points out that in order to address this humanitarian crisis it is important for religious leaders to see with their eyes, the facilities that accommodate unaccompanied minors, and also see how the government is trying to accomodate this segment of the population, even on a temporary basis. "The leaders of the government must find a way to remedy the situation of these refugees - says the Bishop - especially because we have childern and mothers who are suffering enormously. Each government's response at a federal and state level, should focus on this".
Mgr. Flores also reiterated that the Church supports the current law, which provides asylum to these people and allows them to present their cases in court. "The Church will always try to ensure that human rights are respected, especially in the case of the protection of these people", the Bishop stressed, noting that "faced with a humanitarian crisis, humanitarian response is needed". Also immigration agencies of the government and the police should treat all refugees seeking asylum with dignity, justice, compassion, and in full respect of their rights to a fair trial.
The note concludes informing that the group of the religious who visited the facilities, sent a letter to the Congress expressing their concern about the current situation of the children and how they are cared for, asking for sufficient resources to enable them to overcome the current situation in a dignified manner. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2014)
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"
- 2014-07-08 - Forum on Migration: analysis of the reality and operational proposals are being studied
- 2014-06-28 - Solidarity of Churches for the humanitarian emergency of immigrant children
- 2014-06-24 - Over 160 thousand immigrants in Texas, 37 thousand children are alone
- 2014-06-24 - Children and young immigrants in the U.S.A: "They are not seeking adventure, they are fleeing from a war"
- 2014-06-17 - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics
- 2014-06-13 - A priest killed and another seriously injured in Phoenix