AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"
Brownsville (Agenzia Fides) - The situation of children and young Central Americans stopped at the U.S. border with Mexico, in Texas, continues to present itself as a state of authentic humanitarian crisis (see Fides 24/06/2014; 28/06/2014). The Bishop of Brownsville, His Exc. Mgr. Daniel Ernest Flores, visited, together with a group of religious leaders of the Convención de Bautistas del Sur, the different facilities that welcome the children who are stopped.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Flores points out that in order to address this humanitarian crisis it is important for religious leaders to see with their eyes, the facilities that accommodate unaccompanied minors, and also see how the government is trying to accomodate this segment of the population, even on a temporary basis. "The leaders of the government must find a way to remedy the situation of these refugees - says the Bishop - especially because we have childern and mothers who are suffering enormously. Each government's response at a federal and state level, should focus on this".
Mgr. Flores also reiterated that the Church supports the current law, which provides asylum to these people and allows them to present their cases in court. "The Church will always try to ensure that human rights are respected, especially in the case of the protection of these people", the Bishop stressed, noting that "faced with a humanitarian crisis, humanitarian response is needed". Also immigration agencies of the government and the police should treat all refugees seeking asylum with dignity, justice, compassion, and in full respect of their rights to a fair trial.
The note concludes informing that the group of the religious who visited the facilities, sent a letter to the Congress expressing their concern about the current situation of the children and how they are cared for, asking for sufficient resources to enable them to overcome the current situation in a dignified manner. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2014)
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away