ASIA/INDIA - A special school to restore dignity and social role for the disabled
Thrissur (Agenzia Fides) - Being disabled in India is difficult. In 2000, in Thrissur, Kerala, the Sisters of the Congregation of the Samaritan Sisters (CSS) founded the "Snehadeepthi" special school. Their "special" children receive support and psychophysical support for education. Several activities that involve the use of machinery have been introduced with the help of the state government: among other things palm plates, paper cups, paper bags are made, with the aim of promoting the further integration of children in society.
Snehadeepthi provides education and professional education to 140 children and adolescents with mental disabilities. Many of them belong to poor families and have less access to jobs compared to the rest of the population.
The chances that these children go to school is 4 to 5 times lower than that of others. Since 2000, the school has become a point of reference. The Sisters are planning to build another pavilion near the future Generalate of the Congregation to welcome new members, as well as receiving financial support from the government for 100 children. To do this, a service of physiotherapy, speech therapy, adjusting the spaces and ensure at least 1 teacher for every 8 children will have to be activated. This year, 18 children passed the state school examinations; 3 participated in the Special Olympics in Asia and the Pacific held in Australia and won 3 medals. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - One hundred years of mission in the media for the Daughters of St. Paul
- 2015-07-02 - Stop violence against women
- 2015-07-01 - A radio station to help farmers in Bundelkhand
- 2015-06-27 - Anti-Christian Violence in Kerala
- 2015-06-12 - The Director of the PMS: "Farmers and religious minorities abandoned by the Indian government"
- 2015-06-02 - Suicides of farmers, a scourge of society
- 2015-06-01 - The Salesians start a center for renewable energy in the Northeast
- 2015-05-29 - Street dentists for the poor: a widespread service
- 2015-05-20 - The Indian Bishops: "We would be happy for the canonization of Mother Teresa"
- 2015-05-16 - Five attacks in five days against the Christians in Madhya Pradesh