ASIA/INDIA - A special school to restore dignity and social role for the disabled
Thrissur (Agenzia Fides) - Being disabled in India is difficult. In 2000, in Thrissur, Kerala, the Sisters of the Congregation of the Samaritan Sisters (CSS) founded the "Snehadeepthi" special school. Their "special" children receive support and psychophysical support for education. Several activities that involve the use of machinery have been introduced with the help of the state government: among other things palm plates, paper cups, paper bags are made, with the aim of promoting the further integration of children in society.
Snehadeepthi provides education and professional education to 140 children and adolescents with mental disabilities. Many of them belong to poor families and have less access to jobs compared to the rest of the population.
The chances that these children go to school is 4 to 5 times lower than that of others. Since 2000, the school has become a point of reference. The Sisters are planning to build another pavilion near the future Generalate of the Congregation to welcome new members, as well as receiving financial support from the government for 100 children. To do this, a service of physiotherapy, speech therapy, adjusting the spaces and ensure at least 1 teacher for every 8 children will have to be activated. This year, 18 children passed the state school examinations; 3 participated in the Special Olympics in Asia and the Pacific held in Australia and won 3 medals. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2014)
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops of Orissa establish "Martyrs Day"
- 2015-09-01 - Interreligious prayer on the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-31 - In Orissa the Day of Remembrance for the victims of anti-Christian massacres
- 2015-08-29 - The Franciscans in India: an hour of Adoration for the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-28 - India is polio-free: thanks to the collaboration between State and Church
- 2015-08-26 - Census on religions: Muslims increas, Christians stable
- 2015-08-25 - "No more violence": anniversary of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2015-08-24 - A Christian Forum urges the Government of Orissa to protect Christians
- 2015-08-21 - The Daughters of Mary Help of Christians open a new convent in the state of Orissa
- 2015-08-04 - ASIA/INDIA – Over half a million children engaged in risky work in cotton fields