ASIA/CHINA - Too much time wasted in front of a computer or on cell phones, too little to read the Bible
Beijing (Agenzia Fides) - Among the various initiatives related to the spread of the Bible and the promotion of knowledge in mainland China, we report what is called "transmission of the Holy Scriptures in the family", which is promoted by 4 mission stations in the southern suburbs of Beijing. It began on July 1 and ends on June 30, 2015, to celebrate 5 years of their foundation. According to the priest organizer, "people today waste too much of their time with computers and cell phones, few people think about reading the Word of God, especially the young. So we want to encourage and help families to get into the habit of reading the Bible together, to apply God's Word to life, becoming authentic Christians".
To implement the initiative, the priest brings a Bible and a blessed candle to a family that becomes available. The family prepares a small altar in the center of their own home where the Bible is placed and lights the candle, remembering that the Word of God enlightens and guides the lives of the faithful. During the week, all members of the family commit themselves to reading and sharing the Word of God together, according to the indications given by the priest. At the end of the week, the priest brings the Bible to another family and so on.
Among other biblical initiatives, one hundred copies of the Bible were distributed on July 18 by the pastor of the parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Beijing, accompanied by a group of parishioners, university students who participated in the summer camp. The parish is concluding the celebrations for the centenary of the reconstruction (see Fides 19/07/2014). Even the Diocese of Cang Zhou in He Bei province, is committed to promoting the reading of the Word of God in parishes and ecclesial base communities. (NZ) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2014)
- 2015-04-17 - Catholic communities towards the Jubilee of Mercy
- 2015-03-24 - The Chinese Catholic community towards Easter
- 2015-03-17 - Even the "24 hours for the Lord" in the Lenten journey of the Chinese Catholics
- 2015-03-10 - The Bishop of Jing Xian highlights the need to give authentic Christian witness
- 2015-03-04 - The Catholic communities pray for the persecuted Christians in the Middle East and around the world
- 2015-02-21 - ASIA/CHINA – Visits to the elderly and the poor, thanksgiving to God: Chinese Catholics celebrate New Year
- 2015-02-04 - The ancient church of the diocese of Ning Bo will soon return to being the symbol of the city
- 2014-12-12 - "I walk with you": the Catholic community prepares itself for Christmas
- 2014-12-03 - Evangelising with joy: a meeting of sharing, music and prayer
- 2014-12-02 - The Year of Consecrated Life begins: witnesses of hope in the future