ASIA/CHINA - Too much time wasted in front of a computer or on cell phones, too little to read the Bible
Beijing (Agenzia Fides) - Among the various initiatives related to the spread of the Bible and the promotion of knowledge in mainland China, we report what is called "transmission of the Holy Scriptures in the family", which is promoted by 4 mission stations in the southern suburbs of Beijing. It began on July 1 and ends on June 30, 2015, to celebrate 5 years of their foundation. According to the priest organizer, "people today waste too much of their time with computers and cell phones, few people think about reading the Word of God, especially the young. So we want to encourage and help families to get into the habit of reading the Bible together, to apply God's Word to life, becoming authentic Christians".
To implement the initiative, the priest brings a Bible and a blessed candle to a family that becomes available. The family prepares a small altar in the center of their own home where the Bible is placed and lights the candle, remembering that the Word of God enlightens and guides the lives of the faithful. During the week, all members of the family commit themselves to reading and sharing the Word of God together, according to the indications given by the priest. At the end of the week, the priest brings the Bible to another family and so on.
Among other biblical initiatives, one hundred copies of the Bible were distributed on July 18 by the pastor of the parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Beijing, accompanied by a group of parishioners, university students who participated in the summer camp. The parish is concluding the celebrations for the centenary of the reconstruction (see Fides 19/07/2014). Even the Diocese of Cang Zhou in He Bei province, is committed to promoting the reading of the Word of God in parishes and ecclesial base communities. (NZ) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2014)
- 2014-09-16 - ASIA/CHINA – Death of Archbishop Giuseppe Wu, zealous shepherd dedicated to formation of seminarians and women religious
- 2014-09-16 - “The mission of priests today”: cultural sharing in Taiwan for a group of priests from He Bei
- 2014-09-06 - Celebration of the sacraments and missionary mandate after Summer catechism courses
- 2014-07-23 - Too much time wasted in front of a computer or on cell phones, too little to read the Bible
- 2014-07-16 - Formation, communion and sharing: the Catholic community committed to summer camps for children
- 2014-06-09 - Baptisms and confirmations on the Solemnity of Pentecost, a new impetus to mission
- 2014-05-26 - 20 000 baptisms celebrated at Easter in the Catholic community in mainland China
- 2014-03-27 - Death of Mgr. Joseph Fan Zhongliang, Bishop of Shanghai: always committed to serving the Church in spite of great difficulties
- 2014-03-27 - The Archdiocese of Xi An makes a pilgrimage to the Marian Shrine of Hu Xian for the Annunciation
- 2014-03-18 - Priests and nuns in the most remote villages to help the faithful live Lent