AFRICA/KENYA - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Kenyan security forces have found and destroyed four paramilitary fields used by militants who since June have terrorized some villages in the County of Lamu on the coast of Kenya on the border with Somalia (see Fides 16, 17 and 19 June).
The fields were hidden in the forest of Boni. According to the authorities, those responsible for the attacks that caused at least 80 deaths last month, are young Kenyans who were integrated into the ranks of the Somali Shabaab. After the Kenyan army offensive that rejected Shebaab from cities in southern Somalia, these young people returned to Kenya to destabilize the coastal area where different ethnic and religious groups live together. The group can count not only on weapons obtained in Somalia, but even on the perfect knowledge of the ground, and in particular the Boni forest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/07/2014)
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus