AFRICA/KENYA - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Kenyan security forces have found and destroyed four paramilitary fields used by militants who since June have terrorized some villages in the County of Lamu on the coast of Kenya on the border with Somalia (see Fides 16, 17 and 19 June).
The fields were hidden in the forest of Boni. According to the authorities, those responsible for the attacks that caused at least 80 deaths last month, are young Kenyans who were integrated into the ranks of the Somali Shabaab. After the Kenyan army offensive that rejected Shebaab from cities in southern Somalia, these young people returned to Kenya to destabilize the coastal area where different ethnic and religious groups live together. The group can count not only on weapons obtained in Somalia, but even on the perfect knowledge of the ground, and in particular the Boni forest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/07/2014)
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children
- 2015-10-26 - “The Bishops are certain the visit of Pope Francis will reinforce national unity