AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Disarmament of the militias; sending peacekeeping forces trained by the military that do not belong to the neighboring states; establishment of a Special Tribunal for Central Africa; establishment of a "Truth and Reconciliation" Commission; reshuffling of the current government; organization of local and national election. These are the points of the Scheme in order to lead the Central African Republic out of the crisis, drafted by civil society associations and the "lifeblood" of the nation, whose delegates had gathered in Bangui in recent days. Among them there were also representatives of the religions of the Country (see Fides 11/11/2014).
According to the Scheme the immediate priority must be the disarmament of former Seleka rebels, of the Anti Balaka militia and all other armed groups in the Country. Another important point is the sending of a UN force composed of soldiers that do not belong to the armies of neighboring Countries that are currently present in Central Africa with some military contingents. According to several Central African commentators, neighboring States act mainly to defend their interests, how to protect their borders with Central Africa.
The Scheme also provides for punishment for those responsible for the crimes committed during the civil war, that will be judged by a special International Tribunal. It will be be supported by a "Truth and Reconciliation" Commission responsible for reconciling the minds of the population. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/07/2014)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui