AMERICA/BRAZIL - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
Manaus (Agenzia Fides) - After Brasilia, Sao Paulo and Belém, the exhibition "Indigenous Peoples of Brazil 1980/2013 - Retrospective images in the struggle of indigenous peoples in Brazil for their collective rights" arrived yesterday in Manaus, capital of Amazonas state. The exhibition, located in the Ponta Negra Park, will remain until August 17, gathers 43 photographs of historical moments and figures, presented in chronological order, with maps and explanatory texts in Portuguese and English. According to information sent to Fides Agency by Adital, the exhibition celebrates the 30th anniversary of the Norwegian support to the indigenous peoples of Brazil, the 25th anniversary of the Constitution and 20 years of the 'Instituto Socioambiental (ISA), and is realized with the support of the municipal government of Manaus. The exhibition traces the past 33 years, during which indigenous peoples have come out from invisibility to enter the agenda of contemporary Brazil. Among other issues, the images portray the indigenous participation in the Constituent Assembly (1986-1988); the battle for the recognition of Indigenous Lands; the resistance to the invasion of the seekers of precious stones; the support of famous musicians; the possession of modern technologies; threats to the last isolated populations; the recent demonstrations for the respect of their rights.
Today there are 240 indigenous peoples in Brazil, who speak 154 languages and represent a population of over 896,000 people. The number of Indians continues to increase, as well as that of ethnic groups, although some populations are at risk of extinction. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"