AMERICA/BRAZIL - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
Manaus (Agenzia Fides) - After Brasilia, Sao Paulo and Belém, the exhibition "Indigenous Peoples of Brazil 1980/2013 - Retrospective images in the struggle of indigenous peoples in Brazil for their collective rights" arrived yesterday in Manaus, capital of Amazonas state. The exhibition, located in the Ponta Negra Park, will remain until August 17, gathers 43 photographs of historical moments and figures, presented in chronological order, with maps and explanatory texts in Portuguese and English. According to information sent to Fides Agency by Adital, the exhibition celebrates the 30th anniversary of the Norwegian support to the indigenous peoples of Brazil, the 25th anniversary of the Constitution and 20 years of the 'Instituto Socioambiental (ISA), and is realized with the support of the municipal government of Manaus. The exhibition traces the past 33 years, during which indigenous peoples have come out from invisibility to enter the agenda of contemporary Brazil. Among other issues, the images portray the indigenous participation in the Constituent Assembly (1986-1988); the battle for the recognition of Indigenous Lands; the resistance to the invasion of the seekers of precious stones; the support of famous musicians; the possession of modern technologies; threats to the last isolated populations; the recent demonstrations for the respect of their rights.
Today there are 240 indigenous peoples in Brazil, who speak 154 languages and represent a population of over 896,000 people. The number of Indians continues to increase, as well as that of ethnic groups, although some populations are at risk of extinction. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2014)
- 2015-04-01 - The Bishops' of Paranà: "We too suffer with the people ..."
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission