AFRICA/MALAWI - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - Today, July 16th, the 18th Plenary Assembly (Association of the Members of the Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa) opens in the capital of Malawi, Lilongwe. According to information sent to Fides Agency, the event brings together more than 250 Bishops from Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia (Djibouti and Somalia are affiliate members), who will discuss the theme "The new evangelization through conversion and witness of the Christian faith". His Exc. Mgr. Gabriel Mbilingi, Archbishop of Luanda (Angola) and President of SECAM (Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar) will address a welcoming speech to the participants.
The Plenary Assembly was preceded by a fundraiser organized by the Episcopal Conference of Malawi which hosted the event (see Fides 06/02/2014). The local Catholic media (Radio Maria Malawi, Lilongwe Archdiocese of Alinafe Radio, Radio Tigabane of the diocese of Mzuzu and Luntha TV) will follow the work of the Assembly, so as to involve the population in the Country. In particular, Radio Maria Malawi will broadcast live streaming the opening ceremony and the closing and a part of the meeting. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2014)
- 2014-08-04 - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
- 2014-07-16 - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
- 2014-06-27 - Politics restarts a month after the election; "Transition towards normality is not easy", says a missionary
- 2014-05-31 - Malawi has a new President
- 2014-05-26 - Elections contested: the only thing certain are the irregularities and suspicions of fraud
- 2014-05-22 - Disorganization disturbs the conduct of the elections
- 2014-05-20 - "The most uncertain elections in the last 20 years, but democracy is a fact accepted by all", says a missionary
- 2014-04-03 - Montfort Media and Luntha TV: two important missionary voices
- 2014-02-06 - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA
- 2013-11-23 - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church