AFRICA/MALAWI - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - Today, July 16th, the 18th Plenary Assembly (Association of the Members of the Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa) opens in the capital of Malawi, Lilongwe. According to information sent to Fides Agency, the event brings together more than 250 Bishops from Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia (Djibouti and Somalia are affiliate members), who will discuss the theme "The new evangelization through conversion and witness of the Christian faith". His Exc. Mgr. Gabriel Mbilingi, Archbishop of Luanda (Angola) and President of SECAM (Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar) will address a welcoming speech to the participants.
The Plenary Assembly was preceded by a fundraiser organized by the Episcopal Conference of Malawi which hosted the event (see Fides 06/02/2014). The local Catholic media (Radio Maria Malawi, Lilongwe Archdiocese of Alinafe Radio, Radio Tigabane of the diocese of Mzuzu and Luntha TV) will follow the work of the Assembly, so as to involve the population in the Country. In particular, Radio Maria Malawi will broadcast live streaming the opening ceremony and the closing and a part of the meeting. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2014)
- 2015-08-27 - Pope Francis in his encyclical: "We are victims of climate change", says the Archbishop of Blantyre
- 2015-08-18 - A country adrift where frustration among the people rises out of all control
- 2015-07-14 - "We will continue to be poor without a moral transformation", says the Archbishop of Blantyre
- 2015-06-19 - The government spends $ 145 million for a military contract while 400 are needed for flood victims
- 2015-05-29 - A "scary" financial law that aggravates the already difficult conditions of the population
- 2015-05-22 - "Justice and Peace": "The state budget has to give priority to flood victims"
- 2015-05-22 - The Sun Village: center of assistance and support for children in need
- 2015-04-22 - Malawians fleeing xenophobic violence in South Africa: "We were chased like dogs"
- 2015-04-01 - The hope of Easter in the poorest Country in the world
- 2015-03-17 - The Church assists 230,000 flood victims