AFRICA/MALAWI - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - Today, July 16th, the 18th Plenary Assembly (Association of the Members of the Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa) opens in the capital of Malawi, Lilongwe. According to information sent to Fides Agency, the event brings together more than 250 Bishops from Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia (Djibouti and Somalia are affiliate members), who will discuss the theme "The new evangelization through conversion and witness of the Christian faith". His Exc. Mgr. Gabriel Mbilingi, Archbishop of Luanda (Angola) and President of SECAM (Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar) will address a welcoming speech to the participants.
The Plenary Assembly was preceded by a fundraiser organized by the Episcopal Conference of Malawi which hosted the event (see Fides 06/02/2014). The local Catholic media (Radio Maria Malawi, Lilongwe Archdiocese of Alinafe Radio, Radio Tigabane of the diocese of Mzuzu and Luntha TV) will follow the work of the Assembly, so as to involve the population in the Country. In particular, Radio Maria Malawi will broadcast live streaming the opening ceremony and the closing and a part of the meeting. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2014)
- 2015-02-25 - Towards a more "human" prison system
- 2015-01-30 - The story of a missionary: Malawi on its knees due to the damage caused by cyclones
- 2015-01-26 - Cholera, hunger, diseases: new threats for thousands of flood victims in Malawi and Mozambique
- 2015-01-22 - "Mgr. Zuza was a person of great courage", says a missionary
- 2015-01-17 - Mgr. Mukasa Zuza dies in a car accident
- 2014-12-29 - "A sad and uncertain Christmas", says a missionary
- 2014-12-10 - Appeal of "Justice and Peace" to international donors: "Do not abandon us in time of need"
- 2014-12-06 - “Corruption scandal consequences ever more serious” missionary says
- 2014-12-03 - AFRICA/MALAWI – The dream of a nation free of the nightmare of AIDS
- 2014-11-12 - "People are dying due to lack of medicine, external aid blocked because of Cashgate": alarm launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference