AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of San Salvador, His Exc. Mgr. José Luis Escobar Alas, has asked "Mexico and the United States to ensure the rights of children, because it is not right to take advantage of anyone, especially a child, who is innocent". The Archbishop spoke in his usual press conference on Sunday, after the Mass celebrated in the Cathedral of San Salvador, and the statement sent to Fides, highlights that the issue "is not new, but now it has come to light due to the sharp increase in children who arrive in America alone and illegally".
The Archbishop wants to launch his strong appeal to human smugglers ("coyotes"), because, as he said: "We all have responsibility in the issue, from the moment they leave their homes and their countries, to the place where they arrive; This phenomenon involves so much money, this is why the authorities are challenged to solve the problem and overcome the phenomenon".
According to data gathered by Fides, the U.S. officials have already warned that they will continue to repatriate these immigrant children, as required by law, while the governments of El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala insist in their request to see case by case, because there are children who arrive to be reunited with their parents who live in the United States. According to experts, there are two main causes of growing child emigration: family reunification and the climate of violence in these Central American countries. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2014)
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected
- 2014-10-07 - The Church welcomes the initiative of the Council of National Security
- 2014-09-23 - Dengue and chikungunya: the most affected age group ranges from 5 to 19
- 2014-09-11 - Contribution of the Church for a monument to reconciliation, which inspires to seek peace
- 2014-07-15 - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children
- 2014-07-03 - 1,512 suspected cases of chikungunya in addition to 5,698 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2014-05-20 - Violence in parts of Central America also encourages children to emigrate alone
- 2014-05-05 - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2014-04-28 - Transparency in everything, because people must have confidence