AMERICA/MEXICO - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) – Vatican’s Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin, participated yesterday in the "Coloquio México Santa Sede sobre migración y desarrollo", which ends today. The Apostolic Nuncio, His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, read the message from Pope Francis that says: "Faced with this humanitarian emergency, the first urgent measure is to protect and accommodate these children in the right way, however, these measures will not be sufficient if not accompanied by policies of information on the dangers of the journey and, above all, the promotion of development in their countries of origin".
Cardinal Parolin’s intervention focused on the proposal for a joint work for human dignity, to meet the challenges of migration and to provide a common response to this humanitarian crisis. "The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion - said the Cardinal - that enables the passage from the 'culture of closure' to a 'culture of hospitality'."
While in Mexico this meeting is being held, a charter flight from Nuevo Mexico (United States) took off, the first since President Obama has pledged to speed up the repatriation of undocumented migrant children, to San Pedro Sula (Honduras), with 21 Honduran children. Fleeing violence and poverty, a record number of children from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala have crossed the border with the United States, igniting the debate on how to solve this serious situation (see Fides 24/06/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2014)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude