AMERICA/MEXICO - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) – Vatican’s Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin, participated yesterday in the "Coloquio México Santa Sede sobre migración y desarrollo", which ends today. The Apostolic Nuncio, His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, read the message from Pope Francis that says: "Faced with this humanitarian emergency, the first urgent measure is to protect and accommodate these children in the right way, however, these measures will not be sufficient if not accompanied by policies of information on the dangers of the journey and, above all, the promotion of development in their countries of origin".
Cardinal Parolin’s intervention focused on the proposal for a joint work for human dignity, to meet the challenges of migration and to provide a common response to this humanitarian crisis. "The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion - said the Cardinal - that enables the passage from the 'culture of closure' to a 'culture of hospitality'."
While in Mexico this meeting is being held, a charter flight from Nuevo Mexico (United States) took off, the first since President Obama has pledged to speed up the repatriation of undocumented migrant children, to San Pedro Sula (Honduras), with 21 Honduran children. Fleeing violence and poverty, a record number of children from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala have crossed the border with the United States, igniting the debate on how to solve this serious situation (see Fides 24/06/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2014)
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"