AMERICA/MEXICO - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) – Vatican’s Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin, participated yesterday in the "Coloquio México Santa Sede sobre migración y desarrollo", which ends today. The Apostolic Nuncio, His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, read the message from Pope Francis that says: "Faced with this humanitarian emergency, the first urgent measure is to protect and accommodate these children in the right way, however, these measures will not be sufficient if not accompanied by policies of information on the dangers of the journey and, above all, the promotion of development in their countries of origin".
Cardinal Parolin’s intervention focused on the proposal for a joint work for human dignity, to meet the challenges of migration and to provide a common response to this humanitarian crisis. "The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion - said the Cardinal - that enables the passage from the 'culture of closure' to a 'culture of hospitality'."
While in Mexico this meeting is being held, a charter flight from Nuevo Mexico (United States) took off, the first since President Obama has pledged to speed up the repatriation of undocumented migrant children, to San Pedro Sula (Honduras), with 21 Honduran children. Fleeing violence and poverty, a record number of children from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala have crossed the border with the United States, igniting the debate on how to solve this serious situation (see Fides 24/06/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2014)
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop