AMERICA/MEXICO - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) – Vatican’s Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin, participated yesterday in the "Coloquio México Santa Sede sobre migración y desarrollo", which ends today. The Apostolic Nuncio, His Exc. Mgr. Christophe Pierre, read the message from Pope Francis that says: "Faced with this humanitarian emergency, the first urgent measure is to protect and accommodate these children in the right way, however, these measures will not be sufficient if not accompanied by policies of information on the dangers of the journey and, above all, the promotion of development in their countries of origin".
Cardinal Parolin’s intervention focused on the proposal for a joint work for human dignity, to meet the challenges of migration and to provide a common response to this humanitarian crisis. "The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion - said the Cardinal - that enables the passage from the 'culture of closure' to a 'culture of hospitality'."
While in Mexico this meeting is being held, a charter flight from Nuevo Mexico (United States) took off, the first since President Obama has pledged to speed up the repatriation of undocumented migrant children, to San Pedro Sula (Honduras), with 21 Honduran children. Fleeing violence and poverty, a record number of children from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala have crossed the border with the United States, igniting the debate on how to solve this serious situation (see Fides 24/06/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"