AFRICA/LIBYA - Worrying situation in Tripoli after clashes at the airport
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is very tense and uncertain. We are very concerned" say to Fides Agency local sources from Tripoli who have requested anonymity. The Libyan capital is experiencing difficult times after yesterday’s clashes, Sunday 13 July, around the airport which is a few kilometers from the city center.
The clashes are between the Zintan militia, who have taken control of the airport since the fall of the Gaddafi regime, and a number of rebel groups linked, it seems, to jihadist movements. In the clashes at least 6 people were killed and another 25 were injured.
The airport was closed to traffic for at least 3 days, and direct flights to Tripoli have been rerouted to Misrata. The serious situation in Libya was the focus of a meeting held on July 13 in Hammamet, Tunisia, with the participation of Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Tunisia, Sudan, Egypt, Algeria, Niger and the representatives of the Arab League and the African Union. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/07/2014)
- 2015-03-25 - The Islamic State claim new attacks
- 2015-03-23 - After two days of bombing, the situation is calm in Tripoli
- 2015-03-05 - The Islamic State takes advantage of the power vacuum
- 2015-02-17 - “Filipinos are the only ones who remain to serve the growing medical needs of our people” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2015-01-28 - Assault on Tripoli: the shadow of the Islamic State on the shores of the Mediterranean
- 2015-01-13 - Copts kidnapped: jihadist websites spread photos
- 2014-12-19 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Foreign staff on the run from a looted hospital; health care system collapsing
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Not only local militia, also foreign interests clash in Libya
- 2014-10-24 - Despite the clashes in Benghazi markets are well stocked
- 2014-10-20 - Elements of the Islamic State and Boko Haram are in Libya, says the Prime Minister