AMERICA/PANAMA - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops
Panama City (Agenzia Fides) - "We cannot complain about the bad without acting and fighting against it", said the Bishops of Panama in a statement released at the end of their Plenary Assembly held in Clayton (on the outskirts of Panama City) from 7 to July 11.
According to a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Pablo Varela Server, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Panama, read the statement in which it calls on the authorities of the government, politicians and civil society, to "take the necessary measures to restore confidence in the institutions of the Country and therefore generate public policies in favor of the common good, based on a development of solidarity in which the human person is above economic interests".
The document urges "respect for human dignity and a participatory democracy, equal and adequate justice". In the document, the Bishops express their concern regarding "the problem of insecurity, which can be seen even within churches and families, the lack of protection of natural resources such as forests and water, food insecurity that affects the survival of people, the poor quality of health services, education and transport, and the proliferation of the drug business". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/07/2014)
- 2014-08-04 - First Congress on the Family "source of social wealth"
- 2014-07-12 - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops
- 2014-05-22 - On a mission in the vulnerable suburbs of society: migrants, itinerant people, displaced ...
- 2014-04-30 - First Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2014-04-15 - The Church calls for calm and responsible participation in the voting
- 2014-02-14 - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
- 2014-01-10 - "An inclusive democracy for the dignity of all the people in Panama": the Assembly of Bishops calls on people to vote on May 4
- 2013-11-25 - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities