Acta of the Holy See
ASIA/INDIA - Resignation of the Bishop of Bareilly and appointment of successor
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - On July 11, 2014, the Holy Father accepted the resignation from the pastoral governance of the Diocese of Bareilly (India), by Bishop Anthony Fernandes, in accordance with can. 401 § 1 of the Code of Canon Law. The Holy Father appointed Fr. Ignatius D'Souza, Vicar General and Parish Priest of the Cathedral of Lucknow, as Bishop of the Diocese of Bareilly (India).
The Bishop-elect was born on August 4, 1964 in Basrikatte, Diocese of Chikmagalur. He attended school in his native village, before moving to the minor Seminary in Lucknow and continued his studies in Philosophy and Theology at St. Joseph's Regional Seminary, Allahabad. He also holds a Masters Degree in Arts, a Bachelor's Degree in Education, a Licentiate in Biblical Theology at the Gregorian University, Rome, and a Doctorate in Biblical Theology at Urbananiana University, Rome. He was ordained a priest on April 7, 1991, in the Cathedral of Lucknow, and incardinated in the same diocese.
Since his ordination he has served in a number of pastoral and academic roles: 1991-1993: Vice rector of the St. Paul's Minor Seminary of Lucknow; 1993: Deputy Dean in the Cathedral School of Lucknow; 1994-1998: Studies in Rome for a Licentiate; 1998-2000: Assistant in the Parish and in the school of St. Anthony Barabanki; 2000-2004: Director of the diocesan pastoral centre of Lucknow; 2004-2006: Studies in Rome for a Doctorate; Since 2006: vicar general and priest of the Cathedral of Lucknow; Member of the College of Consultors; Professor at St. Joseph's Regional Seminary of Allahabad; 2008: Vicar General of Lucknow; since 2009: Pastor of the Cathedral of Lucknow; Director of Ecumenism and Inter-religious Dialogue; Member of the Diocesan Finance Committee; Responsible for Properties and Buildings; Director of the Cathedral School; Vice President of the Catholic Diocese of Lucknow; Acting President of Lucknow Christian Burial Board. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 12/07/2014)
ACTA OF THE HOLY SEE
- 2013-01-28 - Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Niamey
- 2013-01-21 - Resignation of the Bishop of Mouila and appointment of Successor
- 2013-01-18 - Appointment of the Bishop of Thiès
- 2013-01-16 - Resignation of the Bishop of Bukoba and appointment of successor and Apostolic Administrator of Singida
- 2013-01-02 - Erection of the new dioceses of Gboko and Katsina-Ala and appointment of the first Bishops
- 2013-01-02 - Appointment of Coadjutor Archbishop of Singapore
- 2013-01-02 - Resignation of the Bishop of Udaipur and appointment of successor
- 2012-12-28 - Appointment of Coadjutor of Bùi Chu
- 2012-12-21 - Resignation of the Archbishop of Suva and appointment of Successor
- 2012-12-10 - Appointment of the Archbishop of Keewatin-Le Pas