AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has launched an appeal to help the Congolese expelled from the Republic of Congo (Congo Brazzaville) who find themselves in precarious conditions in a refugee camp in Maluku on the eastern outskirts of Kinshasa. It is estimated that at least 2,400 people, of whom thousands are children, have been living in the camp since May, when the expulsion of illegal Congolese from Brazzaville started.
These people come from other areas of the DRC and do not have the means to return home. "There are many who were expelled who need to return to their provinces. If there are people who think they have the means to make them return home, this would help them to leave the precarious conditions in which they live", said Gratien Mundia, coordinator of emergency operations and social protection of Caritas DRC.
Caritas has organized the collection and distribution of basic necessities in the camp of Maluku, some of which are provided by MONUSCO (the UN Mission in the DRC). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2014)
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"