AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has launched an appeal to help the Congolese expelled from the Republic of Congo (Congo Brazzaville) who find themselves in precarious conditions in a refugee camp in Maluku on the eastern outskirts of Kinshasa. It is estimated that at least 2,400 people, of whom thousands are children, have been living in the camp since May, when the expulsion of illegal Congolese from Brazzaville started.
These people come from other areas of the DRC and do not have the means to return home. "There are many who were expelled who need to return to their provinces. If there are people who think they have the means to make them return home, this would help them to leave the precarious conditions in which they live", said Gratien Mundia, coordinator of emergency operations and social protection of Caritas DRC.
Caritas has organized the collection and distribution of basic necessities in the camp of Maluku, some of which are provided by MONUSCO (the UN Mission in the DRC). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2014)
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society