AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has launched an appeal to help the Congolese expelled from the Republic of Congo (Congo Brazzaville) who find themselves in precarious conditions in a refugee camp in Maluku on the eastern outskirts of Kinshasa. It is estimated that at least 2,400 people, of whom thousands are children, have been living in the camp since May, when the expulsion of illegal Congolese from Brazzaville started.
These people come from other areas of the DRC and do not have the means to return home. "There are many who were expelled who need to return to their provinces. If there are people who think they have the means to make them return home, this would help them to leave the precarious conditions in which they live", said Gratien Mundia, coordinator of emergency operations and social protection of Caritas DRC.
Caritas has organized the collection and distribution of basic necessities in the camp of Maluku, some of which are provided by MONUSCO (the UN Mission in the DRC). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2014)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years