AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has launched an appeal to help the Congolese expelled from the Republic of Congo (Congo Brazzaville) who find themselves in precarious conditions in a refugee camp in Maluku on the eastern outskirts of Kinshasa. It is estimated that at least 2,400 people, of whom thousands are children, have been living in the camp since May, when the expulsion of illegal Congolese from Brazzaville started.
These people come from other areas of the DRC and do not have the means to return home. "There are many who were expelled who need to return to their provinces. If there are people who think they have the means to make them return home, this would help them to leave the precarious conditions in which they live", said Gratien Mundia, coordinator of emergency operations and social protection of Caritas DRC.
Caritas has organized the collection and distribution of basic necessities in the camp of Maluku, some of which are provided by MONUSCO (the UN Mission in the DRC). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2014)
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society
- 2014-11-05 - New massacres in Beni, the people are exasperated and protest in the streets
- 2014-11-03 - Constitutional Amendment: Kinshasa looks at what is happening in Ouagadougou
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja