AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Tunja, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga, IMC, has been elected President of the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC). The new President met with representatives of the media and wanted to express his commitment for peace in Colombia, the great challenge of the country.
"Guerrillas should ask for forgiveness, but true forgiveness", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga, according to the note sent to Fides by the CEC, pointing out that the guerrillas "have to respond to justice" for their actions. The new President of the Episcopal Conference also considers peace talks underway in Havana positive. In this context, he called on the FARC and ELN to translate the desire for dialogue in concrete commitment. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2014)
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers
- 2014-11-06 - "Cali is suffering a pandemic of violence", denounces Mgr. Monsalve Mejía
- 2014-10-29 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – There is a risk of an outbreak of Chikungunya and Dengue: 4,500 cases in the last two months
- 2014-10-29 - The Colombian dioceses ask to defend the rights of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific