AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Tunja, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga, IMC, has been elected President of the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC). The new President met with representatives of the media and wanted to express his commitment for peace in Colombia, the great challenge of the country.
"Guerrillas should ask for forgiveness, but true forgiveness", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga, according to the note sent to Fides by the CEC, pointing out that the guerrillas "have to respond to justice" for their actions. The new President of the Episcopal Conference also considers peace talks underway in Havana positive. In this context, he called on the FARC and ELN to translate the desire for dialogue in concrete commitment. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2014)
- 2014-10-17 - "We hope peace is near" says Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-10-08 - The Auxiliary Bishop of Medellin: "We cannot get used to violence"
- 2014-10-06 - Another priest killed for armed robbery
- 2014-10-02 - Members of the third delegation of victims set off for Havana to meet with FARC representatives
- 2014-09-30 - Working with the indigenous open to inculturation: the commitment of the Apostolic Vicar of Mitu
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC