AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Tunja, His Exc. Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga, IMC, has been elected President of the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC). The new President met with representatives of the media and wanted to express his commitment for peace in Colombia, the great challenge of the country.
"Guerrillas should ask for forgiveness, but true forgiveness", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga, according to the note sent to Fides by the CEC, pointing out that the guerrillas "have to respond to justice" for their actions. The new President of the Episcopal Conference also considers peace talks underway in Havana positive. In this context, he called on the FARC and ELN to translate the desire for dialogue in concrete commitment. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation