AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - The worst outbreak of Ebola puts health workers at risk
Kenema (Agenzia Fides) - Sierra Leone, along with neighboring Guinea and Liberia, are going through the worst Ebola outbreak ever recorded before, 481 deaths have been reported since July 2 (see Fides 05/06/2014). Seven health care workers have been infected with the virus in the hospital in Kenema. Due to continuous contact with people infected, the hospital staff is more prone to infection. They work for many hours and some are volunteers. Recently, those who work in the infectious disease ward have gone on strike because of the low wages they receive. Too low for the continuing risks they face, and they have reached an agreement with the Government. Health care workers are faced with even the hostility of those who think that the disease is only a macabre conspiracy to allow the removal of some of organs from patients. Some have received threats, others have been brutally assaulted. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/07/2014)
- 2015-11-06 - AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE – On Saturday, November 7, 2015: the Country will be declared "Ebola free"
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of displaced by floods which hit the Country
- 2015-07-22 - Ebola: people want to go back to normality, but we must not let our guard down
- 2015-07-08 - Archbishop of Freetown: "people are making efforts to protect themselves against Ebola"
- 2015-06-18 - Schools closed for ebola: child abuse, teenage pregnancy, prostitution are on the rise
- 2015-04-15 - The Bishops: "We must be steadfast in the efforts to eradicate the Ebola virus disease and defend our democracy"
- 2015-03-09 - Care centers for children who have been in contact with family members infected by Ebola
- 2015-03-03 - Investigation into the embezzlement of funds allocated in the fight against Ebola virus
- 2015-01-31 - Entire populations deprived of basic health services: commitment to the re-opening of the hospital in Lunsar
- 2015-01-19 - Emergency Ebola: light at the end of the tunnel