AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - At least 17 people have died among the displaced who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral of Saint-Joseph Bambari: they were killed yesterday, July 8, in the assault carried out by Seleka rebels. This was reported to Fides Agency by sources of the Church in the Central African Republic, which for security reasons have requested anonymity.
The rebels also looted and plundered the displaced people of the Cathedral complex, which includes the Bishop's residence and a school, but it is not clear whether the place of worship was desecrated.
Despite the presence of French troops in the city, at least 12,000 people have sought refuge in the complex of the Cathedral to escape the violence.
"What is happening in Bambari is indicative of the current trend in the Country, and this is the concern of all" our sources say. "Moreover, even in the capital, Bangui, where the situation seems calm at the moment, one lives with the anxiety of a sudden blaze of violence", concludes Fides sources. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2014)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui