ASIA/IRAQ – Safety measures taken for the relics of St. Thomas Mosul
(Agenzia Fides) - The capture of Mosul by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which began on June 9, besides causing the exodus of a large part of the population - both Christian and Muslim - has convinced those responsible of the local Syrian Orthodox community to also take security measures with regards to the relics attributed to St. Thomas, hitherto worshiped at the town church dedicated to the Apostle. Since June 17, the casket containing the relics was transferred to the Syrian Orthodox monastery dedicated to St. Matthew, outside Mosul. The ceremony for the laying of the holy relics into the new home was celebrated by Mar Nichodimos Dawood Saraf, Syrian Orthodox Archbishop of Mosul. This was reported by sources of the Syrian Orthodox Church. The intercession of St. Thomas the Apostle is invoked by the Syrian Orthodox communities around the world to ask the Iraqi people to be spared from further suffering. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2014)
ASIA/IRAQ – SAFETY MEASURES TAKEN FOR THE RELICS OF ST. THOMAS MOSUL
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"