ASIA/IRAQ – Safety measures taken for the relics of St. Thomas Mosul
(Agenzia Fides) - The capture of Mosul by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which began on June 9, besides causing the exodus of a large part of the population - both Christian and Muslim - has convinced those responsible of the local Syrian Orthodox community to also take security measures with regards to the relics attributed to St. Thomas, hitherto worshiped at the town church dedicated to the Apostle. Since June 17, the casket containing the relics was transferred to the Syrian Orthodox monastery dedicated to St. Matthew, outside Mosul. The ceremony for the laying of the holy relics into the new home was celebrated by Mar Nichodimos Dawood Saraf, Syrian Orthodox Archbishop of Mosul. This was reported by sources of the Syrian Orthodox Church. The intercession of St. Thomas the Apostle is invoked by the Syrian Orthodox communities around the world to ask the Iraqi people to be spared from further suffering. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2014)
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated
- 2014-07-15 - Letter from Patriarch Louis Raphael I to Iraqi Parliament: there is no time to waste
- 2014-07-15 - The Chaldean nuns and the children released, "a sign of hope for all"
- 2014-07-09 - ASIA/IRAQ – Safety measures taken for the relics of St. Thomas Mosul