ASIA/PHILIPPINES - For the poor and against injustice: the testimony of Father Romano, who was kidnapped 29 years ago, is always present
Cebu (Agenzia Fides) - The testimony of Fr. Rudy Romano, a Redemptorist missionary priest (CSSR), who was abducted by suspected military on 11 July 1985, was cited by the Archbishop of Cebu His Exc. Mgr. Jose Palma, in his message to the diocese. The Archbishop says that "if Fr. Romano were still alive today, he would be celebrating this year (2014) the Golden Anniversary of his Ordination to the Priesthood" while instead we commemorate the 29th anniversary of his death.
"Fr. Rudy Romano took to heart the challenge posed by many of the Church’s social encyclicals, namely, to take the side of the poor while denouncing injustice and social inequality - said Mgr. Palma -. His life witness, his living out his vocation as a pastor and his legacy of deep commitment to Gospel values are gifts he offers to us until today even if he is no longer with us".
Looking at the present situation of the country, Mgr. Palma notes, "we are continuously confronted with all kinds of social and ecological problems. Corruption has contributed to the persistence of poverty affecting many of our people. We see thousands begging in the streets. There are vendors everywhere due to high unemployment. Workers continue to demand higher wages but their cries are not heard. Meanwhile, our farmers and fisherfolk continue to live in abject poverty, made worse by landlessness and the consequences of environmental abuse".
As a Church of the poor, concludes the Archbishop of Cebu, on this 29th anniversary of the disappearance of Fr. Rudy and his Golden Jubilee of priestly Ordination, let us honor the Holy Father’s Exhortation to share our lives with others and generously give of ourselves. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-09-30 - Thousands of children risk their lives in the gold mines
- 2015-09-30 - Priest stabbed to death in central Philippines
- 2015-09-26 - An incentive from Pope Francis to fight against human trafficking
- 2015-09-24 - The Church alongside the tribal victims of violence and persecution
- 2015-09-11 - From the crisis of Zamboanga, a hope for Muslim-Christian relations
- 2015-09-08 - Peace is possible in the southern Philippines, with faith
- 2015-08-28 - The Church joins the Pope for the "Day of Creation" which opens the "Season of Creation"
- 2015-08-26 - Caritas launches "phase two" for rehabilitation after typhoon Yolanda
- 2015-07-21 - Bishops' Message: "Climate change, a matter of social justice"
- 2015-06-25 - "Laudati Sì" a source of inspiration for dialogue and for the care of creation