ASIA/IRAQ - False news regarding the kidnapping of a priest and a nun in Mosul
Mosul (Agenzia Fides) - The Chaldean Church in Mosul, through its Archbishop, Amel Shimon Nona denies the news launched on the web on Sunday, July 6th announcing the kidnapping of a priest and a nun by unidentified "armed men". According to Iranian sources, the alleged kidnapping took place in the parish of a neighborhood in Mosul. "But from Mosul", says Archbishop Nona to Fides Agency, "all priests have left since the beginning of the offensive led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. The false news is likely to fall in the operations of propaganda that often, in such a disturbing manner, spread false information about the condition of Christians".
While alarming news is disseminated on the false kidnapping of Christians, there continues to be no significant developments in the case of two nuns abducted in Mosul on June 28th along with two girls and a boy from the family home for orphans run by them. Efforts to obtain their release immediately tempted by the local ecclesiastical authorities through confidential channels of mediation have so far not been successful. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-11-30 - Chaldean Patriarch: during Advent let us pray for the liberation of Mosul
- 2015-11-20 - Christian and Muslim leaders in Kurdistan celebrate together the "day of tolerance"
- 2015-11-13 - A kindergarten, a language and professional training center for the displaced
- 2015-11-11 - Large participation in the protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-09 - Chaldean Patriarch convenes a protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-05 - Even Christians demonstrate in Erbil against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-10-28 - Parliament rejected the request to change the law on the religious affiliation regarding children
- 2015-10-23 - 400 young Christians take part in Kirkuk Youth Day
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil