ASIA/IRAQ - False news regarding the kidnapping of a priest and a nun in Mosul
Mosul (Agenzia Fides) - The Chaldean Church in Mosul, through its Archbishop, Amel Shimon Nona denies the news launched on the web on Sunday, July 6th announcing the kidnapping of a priest and a nun by unidentified "armed men". According to Iranian sources, the alleged kidnapping took place in the parish of a neighborhood in Mosul. "But from Mosul", says Archbishop Nona to Fides Agency, "all priests have left since the beginning of the offensive led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. The false news is likely to fall in the operations of propaganda that often, in such a disturbing manner, spread false information about the condition of Christians".
While alarming news is disseminated on the false kidnapping of Christians, there continues to be no significant developments in the case of two nuns abducted in Mosul on June 28th along with two girls and a boy from the family home for orphans run by them. Efforts to obtain their release immediately tempted by the local ecclesiastical authorities through confidential channels of mediation have so far not been successful. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated
- 2014-07-15 - Letter from Patriarch Louis Raphael I to Iraqi Parliament: there is no time to waste