ASIA/IRAQ - False news regarding the kidnapping of a priest and a nun in Mosul
Mosul (Agenzia Fides) - The Chaldean Church in Mosul, through its Archbishop, Amel Shimon Nona denies the news launched on the web on Sunday, July 6th announcing the kidnapping of a priest and a nun by unidentified "armed men". According to Iranian sources, the alleged kidnapping took place in the parish of a neighborhood in Mosul. "But from Mosul", says Archbishop Nona to Fides Agency, "all priests have left since the beginning of the offensive led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. The false news is likely to fall in the operations of propaganda that often, in such a disturbing manner, spread false information about the condition of Christians".
While alarming news is disseminated on the false kidnapping of Christians, there continues to be no significant developments in the case of two nuns abducted in Mosul on June 28th along with two girls and a boy from the family home for orphans run by them. Efforts to obtain their release immediately tempted by the local ecclesiastical authorities through confidential channels of mediation have so far not been successful. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University