ASIA/IRAQ - False news regarding the kidnapping of a priest and a nun in Mosul
Mosul (Agenzia Fides) - The Chaldean Church in Mosul, through its Archbishop, Amel Shimon Nona denies the news launched on the web on Sunday, July 6th announcing the kidnapping of a priest and a nun by unidentified "armed men". According to Iranian sources, the alleged kidnapping took place in the parish of a neighborhood in Mosul. "But from Mosul", says Archbishop Nona to Fides Agency, "all priests have left since the beginning of the offensive led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. The false news is likely to fall in the operations of propaganda that often, in such a disturbing manner, spread false information about the condition of Christians".
While alarming news is disseminated on the false kidnapping of Christians, there continues to be no significant developments in the case of two nuns abducted in Mosul on June 28th along with two girls and a boy from the family home for orphans run by them. Efforts to obtain their release immediately tempted by the local ecclesiastical authorities through confidential channels of mediation have so far not been successful. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"