ASIA/IRAQ - False news regarding the kidnapping of a priest and a nun in Mosul
Mosul (Agenzia Fides) - The Chaldean Church in Mosul, through its Archbishop, Amel Shimon Nona denies the news launched on the web on Sunday, July 6th announcing the kidnapping of a priest and a nun by unidentified "armed men". According to Iranian sources, the alleged kidnapping took place in the parish of a neighborhood in Mosul. "But from Mosul", says Archbishop Nona to Fides Agency, "all priests have left since the beginning of the offensive led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. The false news is likely to fall in the operations of propaganda that often, in such a disturbing manner, spread false information about the condition of Christians".
While alarming news is disseminated on the false kidnapping of Christians, there continues to be no significant developments in the case of two nuns abducted in Mosul on June 28th along with two girls and a boy from the family home for orphans run by them. Efforts to obtain their release immediately tempted by the local ecclesiastical authorities through confidential channels of mediation have so far not been successful. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated
- 2014-07-15 - Letter from Patriarch Louis Raphael I to Iraqi Parliament: there is no time to waste
- 2014-07-15 - The Chaldean nuns and the children released, "a sign of hope for all"
- 2014-07-09 - ASIA/IRAQ – Safety measures taken for the relics of St. Thomas Mosul
- 2014-07-07 - False news regarding the kidnapping of a priest and a nun in Mosul
- 2014-07-05 - Churches in Kirkuk assist Muslim refugees during Ramadan
- 2014-07-03 - ASIA/IRAQ – Bombings and raids against churches in Mosul for the release of the nuns and orphans