AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly
María de la Altagracia (Agenzia Fides) - At the end of the Plenary Assembly of the Dominican Episcopal Conference (CED), the Bishops denounce the climate of insecurity, rising violence, the scourge of drug trafficking and killings that continue to undermine the Dominican society, inviting the faithful and all people of good will not to be afraid to vigorously fight for social peace and for respect of nature and the environment.
Citing the words of our Holy Father, "we join the whole Church not to be afraid and not to allow anyone to take away our hope", write the Bishops in the final text, sent to Fides by the Diocese of San Pedro de Macoris. "In an environment of ecclesial communion - continues the statement - we elected His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Nicanor Peña Rodríguez, Bishop of the Diocese of Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia en Higuey as President; His Exc. Mgr. José Dolores Grullon Estrella, Bishop of the diocese of San Juan de la Maguana, as Vice President". Fr. Carmelo Santana Jerez was re-elected secretary-general, and José Joaquín Domínguez was elected Under-Secretary.
The main issues that were discussed by the Bishops in this Assembly, and that will be the central part of the commitment of the entire Dominican Church for the coming months are: dialogue with representatives of the Unión Nacional de Escuelas católicas (UNEC) on the current situation of the Catholic educational institutions; dialogue with the Ministry of Health for the emergence of infectious diseases; national literacy program and preparation for the next General Assembly of the Latin American Episcopal Council (CELAM), which will be held in Santo Domingo from May 12 to 15, 2015. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-10-09 - Catholic Church and Public Health together against dengue
- 2015-10-06 - Tensions between Haiti and Santo Domingo for economic measures, the Bishops denounce those who sow discord
- 2015-09-30 - First "regional dialogue" against food waste
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of pilgrims for the feast of the Patron saint of the country
- 2015-09-22 - Dengue: alert in hospitals and health centers in the Country
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez
- 2015-05-29 - The Pope urges us not to be indifferent towards immigrants
- 2015-05-20 - 90% of HIV-positive Dominicans live in extreme poverty