AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly
María de la Altagracia (Agenzia Fides) - At the end of the Plenary Assembly of the Dominican Episcopal Conference (CED), the Bishops denounce the climate of insecurity, rising violence, the scourge of drug trafficking and killings that continue to undermine the Dominican society, inviting the faithful and all people of good will not to be afraid to vigorously fight for social peace and for respect of nature and the environment.
Citing the words of our Holy Father, "we join the whole Church not to be afraid and not to allow anyone to take away our hope", write the Bishops in the final text, sent to Fides by the Diocese of San Pedro de Macoris. "In an environment of ecclesial communion - continues the statement - we elected His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Nicanor Peña Rodríguez, Bishop of the Diocese of Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia en Higuey as President; His Exc. Mgr. José Dolores Grullon Estrella, Bishop of the diocese of San Juan de la Maguana, as Vice President". Fr. Carmelo Santana Jerez was re-elected secretary-general, and José Joaquín Domínguez was elected Under-Secretary.
The main issues that were discussed by the Bishops in this Assembly, and that will be the central part of the commitment of the entire Dominican Church for the coming months are: dialogue with representatives of the Unión Nacional de Escuelas católicas (UNEC) on the current situation of the Catholic educational institutions; dialogue with the Ministry of Health for the emergence of infectious diseases; national literacy program and preparation for the next General Assembly of the Latin American Episcopal Council (CELAM), which will be held in Santo Domingo from May 12 to 15, 2015. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2014)
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,
- 2014-10-03 - "A people on a mission, sensitive towards solidarity": the National Assembly of Pastoral care is underway
- 2014-09-23 - Public opinion divided on the request for the withdrawal of UNHCR from the country
- 2014-07-22 - Although some people promote hate, the Church is committed to peaceful coexistence
- 2014-07-07 - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2014-07-01 - Still difficulty for many undocumented Haitians
- 2014-06-10 - A motorway to unite the country ... even the Church is moving
- 2014-05-27 - Emergency for public hospitals in the Country
- 2014-05-13 - The number of working children, deprived of education and health care, continues to increase