AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) – To analyze the social, economic, religious and political life of the country, in addition to strengthening the bonds of communion among the Bishops: is the central objective of this XCVII Plenary Assembly of the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC) to be held from 7 to 11 July in Bogota.
The Bishops entitled to vote are 83, while 29 Bishop emeritus can participate in the Plenary, but cannot vote, according to the statutes of the CEC.
The note sent to Fides reports that the outgoing President of the CEC, Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, has publicly called on the faithful to accompany the work of the Bishops with prayer.
One of the major concerns of the Church in Colombia is represented by the peace talks taking place in Cuba. Although there is no physical presence of a representative of the Church in Havana, there are always the proposals drawn up by the Catholic community handed over to representatives of the government and the FARC for a comprehensive consideration of the reality of the Colombian people. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2014)
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect