AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) – To analyze the social, economic, religious and political life of the country, in addition to strengthening the bonds of communion among the Bishops: is the central objective of this XCVII Plenary Assembly of the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC) to be held from 7 to 11 July in Bogota.
The Bishops entitled to vote are 83, while 29 Bishop emeritus can participate in the Plenary, but cannot vote, according to the statutes of the CEC.
The note sent to Fides reports that the outgoing President of the CEC, Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, has publicly called on the faithful to accompany the work of the Bishops with prayer.
One of the major concerns of the Church in Colombia is represented by the peace talks taking place in Cuba. Although there is no physical presence of a representative of the Church in Havana, there are always the proposals drawn up by the Catholic community handed over to representatives of the government and the FARC for a comprehensive consideration of the reality of the Colombian people. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2014)
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation
- 2015-09-11 - Week of Peace: Colombians want a date for talks with the ELN
- 2015-09-07 - The Bishop of Cucuta marches in defense of the rights of Colombians
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC