AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) – To analyze the social, economic, religious and political life of the country, in addition to strengthening the bonds of communion among the Bishops: is the central objective of this XCVII Plenary Assembly of the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC) to be held from 7 to 11 July in Bogota.
The Bishops entitled to vote are 83, while 29 Bishop emeritus can participate in the Plenary, but cannot vote, according to the statutes of the CEC.
The note sent to Fides reports that the outgoing President of the CEC, Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, has publicly called on the faithful to accompany the work of the Bishops with prayer.
One of the major concerns of the Church in Colombia is represented by the peace talks taking place in Cuba. Although there is no physical presence of a representative of the Church in Havana, there are always the proposals drawn up by the Catholic community handed over to representatives of the government and the FARC for a comprehensive consideration of the reality of the Colombian people. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2014)
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery
- 2015-03-18 - Elections: the Archbishop of Medellin urges the socio-political formation of the community
- 2015-03-10 - "Weapons, from security to threat for the family, must be eliminated" asks the Archbishop of Medellin
- 2015-03-04 - Meeting of Bishops Emeritus
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”