AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) – To analyze the social, economic, religious and political life of the country, in addition to strengthening the bonds of communion among the Bishops: is the central objective of this XCVII Plenary Assembly of the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC) to be held from 7 to 11 July in Bogota.
The Bishops entitled to vote are 83, while 29 Bishop emeritus can participate in the Plenary, but cannot vote, according to the statutes of the CEC.
The note sent to Fides reports that the outgoing President of the CEC, Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, has publicly called on the faithful to accompany the work of the Bishops with prayer.
One of the major concerns of the Church in Colombia is represented by the peace talks taking place in Cuba. Although there is no physical presence of a representative of the Church in Havana, there are always the proposals drawn up by the Catholic community handed over to representatives of the government and the FARC for a comprehensive consideration of the reality of the Colombian people. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2014)
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery