AMERICA/MEXICO - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
Chiapas (Agenzia Fides) - The northern and southern borders of Mexico are completely different: while the northern border with the United States is guarded by thousands of police and cameras, the southern border was virtually no man's land until very recently. From the reports sent to Fides by two Mexican sources, the situation is changing completely.
The Mexican government has never wanted to impose strict controls or walls of any type on its southern border, especially on the river Suchiate. Today, however, there are special force soldiers equipped with night vision goggles to prevent clandestine raids, biometric readers to record and store data on the identity of every illegal immigrant detainee, super-fast speedboats to intercept those who want to illegally cross the river; and even a military post with federal agents of the United States.
This safety project is funded by the United States and is being carried out jointly by the two governments to block the wave of Central American children who move towards the north alone. According to Fides sources and research published by the newspaper "Milenio", despite the fact that the two borders are not similar because there is no wall or a security force intended to stop illegal immigrants, the situation is becoming similar due to the amount of dollars invested for border control. With the approval of the Mexican government, since 2008 the U.S. has spent more than $ 350 million for safety programs in the southern Mexican territory, an unprecedented figure. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/07/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning