EUROPE/SPAIN - The emerging phenomenon of women who are victims of sexual exploitation and trafficking
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - Spanish police estimated 10,862 "potential victims" of human trafficking, found in places where other victims have been identified, such as industrial areas, strip clubs or brothels. The police admit that they find it difficult to track down all the "invisible victims" of forced prostitution or trafficking. According to the coordinator of Esperanza project, many of those considered "at risk" are already living in the prostitution environment and therefore can potentially fall into the net. A study of the United Nations, published in 2009, stated that 79% of cases of human trafficking has the goal of sexual exploitation, mostly women and children. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, every year 1.2 million children are victims of this phenomenon. Police have identified an increase in Chinese and Spanish towns involved in prostitution. Of the latter, there are many who have obtained foreign nationality after years of residence. The rise of Chinese prostitutes is an "emergent phenomenon". Many of these victims are afraid to report the perpetrators who threaten their families and are battered or subjected to constant harassment. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa
- 2015-03-20 - Every minute a child dies due to lack of drinking water
- 2015-03-16 - Pastor of the Shrine of Virxe do Cristal killed
- 2015-03-10 - Migration: "The Church is the critical conscience before the authorities"
- 2015-03-02 - Not always employment is the way out of social exclusion
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"
- 2015-01-09 - Bishops appeal to the government: listen to immigrants before expelling them
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Fund raising Christmas markets in aid of HIV positive and abused children in Zimbabwe
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Missionaries victims of Ebola: we remember our missionaries, what they do and for whom they work