EUROPE/SPAIN - The emerging phenomenon of women who are victims of sexual exploitation and trafficking
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - Spanish police estimated 10,862 "potential victims" of human trafficking, found in places where other victims have been identified, such as industrial areas, strip clubs or brothels. The police admit that they find it difficult to track down all the "invisible victims" of forced prostitution or trafficking. According to the coordinator of Esperanza project, many of those considered "at risk" are already living in the prostitution environment and therefore can potentially fall into the net. A study of the United Nations, published in 2009, stated that 79% of cases of human trafficking has the goal of sexual exploitation, mostly women and children. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, every year 1.2 million children are victims of this phenomenon. Police have identified an increase in Chinese and Spanish towns involved in prostitution. Of the latter, there are many who have obtained foreign nationality after years of residence. The rise of Chinese prostitutes is an "emergent phenomenon". Many of these victims are afraid to report the perpetrators who threaten their families and are battered or subjected to constant harassment. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - Trafficking of human persons, "flourishing business on the increase”
- 2015-07-17 - Priest stabbed to death on the doorstep
- 2015-07-07 - Cardinal Filoni in Burgos: "Can we say that the people of God today are missionary people?"
- 2015-05-21 - Hunger is not inevitable: 350 thousand children in the world against child malnutrition
- 2015-05-21 - Support for an alternative model for the regional economy developed by Caritas
- 2015-05-13 - Minerals, cause of conflicts in the world: NGOs ask the EU for "a strong law"
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa