AMERICA/MEXICO - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime
Piedras Negras (Agenzia Fides) - The people do not have confidence in the police force, despite the efforts of the authorities: the assertion comes from the Bishop of the Diocese of Piedras Negras (Coahuila, Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Alonso Gerardo Garza Treviño, who expressed himself in this way following the news of the alleged involvement of three elements of the police in Piedras Negras in acts of vandalism, kidnappings and other crimes. "It is necessary to denounce these facts - continued Mgr. Garza - because if one does not do it, organized crime manages to enter even in these state institutions".
The note sent to Fides by a local source reports that the distrust towards the police is not new, and comes from the lack of intervention of the forces of law and order to ensure the safety of citizens. The Bishop also spoke of the intervention of the police against elements of organized crime through the demolition of 3 houses and buildings they used as a dwelling, the premises of their illegal activities and casinos. "It is always nice to clean what you see, because those houses were monuments to organized crime or violence, but it is necessary to clean what you cannot see, such as widespread corruption, for example, whose networks cause a lot of damage and we all know that they have not entirely disappeared", concluded Mgr. Garza. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests
- 2015-06-11 - The Bishops invite the winners of the elections to fulfil the promises made
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?