AMERICA/MEXICO - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime
Piedras Negras (Agenzia Fides) - The people do not have confidence in the police force, despite the efforts of the authorities: the assertion comes from the Bishop of the Diocese of Piedras Negras (Coahuila, Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Alonso Gerardo Garza Treviño, who expressed himself in this way following the news of the alleged involvement of three elements of the police in Piedras Negras in acts of vandalism, kidnappings and other crimes. "It is necessary to denounce these facts - continued Mgr. Garza - because if one does not do it, organized crime manages to enter even in these state institutions".
The note sent to Fides by a local source reports that the distrust towards the police is not new, and comes from the lack of intervention of the forces of law and order to ensure the safety of citizens. The Bishop also spoke of the intervention of the police against elements of organized crime through the demolition of 3 houses and buildings they used as a dwelling, the premises of their illegal activities and casinos. "It is always nice to clean what you see, because those houses were monuments to organized crime or violence, but it is necessary to clean what you cannot see, such as widespread corruption, for example, whose networks cause a lot of damage and we all know that they have not entirely disappeared", concluded Mgr. Garza. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi