AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "We have received a great response to the appeal launched in favor of miners on strike", writes His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg, South Africa. The workers in the platinum mines in the region of Rustenburg were on strike since January to demand a wage increase (see Fides 03/06/2014). The strike ended on June 25, after reaching a wage agreement.
During the long months of inactivity, Mgr. Dowling worked hard to provide economic support to the miners and their families, especially towards those most in need: orphans, people with tuberculosis and AIDS. The Bishop had launched an appeal to the Christian community of South Africa to help him in the work carried out by his diocese. "Two parishes donated food, different religious communities, parishes and individuals sent money, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul sent a significant donation. Thank you for your generosity", writes Mgr. Dowling.
Thanks to donations received, volunteers from the diocese "have been able to distribute food parcels to the miners and their families, orphans and HIV-positive children, and to all those suffering from hunger in our communities". The aid program run by the Diocese of Rustenburg will continue throughout the month of July, waiting for the situation to return to normality. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2015-07-02 - If these structural issues are not adequately addressed, we shall soon have another Marikana", says "Justice and Peace"
- 2015-06-26 - Presentation of the report on the incidents in Marikana, in 2012: "a horrible tragedy"
- 2015-06-18 - Bishops: 25% increase in electricity prices means the poor will be the ones hardest hit
- 2015-06-17 - South African leadership is accused of xenophobia
- 2015-06-03 - "The President is not liable for any non-security upgrades to his private residence"; Bishops: "we are afraid"
- 2015-05-06 - South African Bishops' donate money for the victims of xenophobic violence
- 2015-04-29 - Police arrest three people in connection with the murder of Sister Stefani Tiefenbacher
- 2015-04-21 - Natal: a life dedicated to poor children for 60 years
- 2015-04-17 - The Bishops condemn the outburst of xenophobic violence: "we are a nation of peace who conquered apartheid"
- 2015-02-18 - Bishops: “No to human trafficking, abominable business and one of the most profitable”