AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "We have received a great response to the appeal launched in favor of miners on strike", writes His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg, South Africa. The workers in the platinum mines in the region of Rustenburg were on strike since January to demand a wage increase (see Fides 03/06/2014). The strike ended on June 25, after reaching a wage agreement.
During the long months of inactivity, Mgr. Dowling worked hard to provide economic support to the miners and their families, especially towards those most in need: orphans, people with tuberculosis and AIDS. The Bishop had launched an appeal to the Christian community of South Africa to help him in the work carried out by his diocese. "Two parishes donated food, different religious communities, parishes and individuals sent money, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul sent a significant donation. Thank you for your generosity", writes Mgr. Dowling.
Thanks to donations received, volunteers from the diocese "have been able to distribute food parcels to the miners and their families, orphans and HIV-positive children, and to all those suffering from hunger in our communities". The aid program run by the Diocese of Rustenburg will continue throughout the month of July, waiting for the situation to return to normality. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
- 2014-06-23 - An American missionary who dedicated her life to orphans in South Africa has been killed
- 2014-05-07 - " Be careful not to go back to new forms of racial discrimination" says Cardinal Napier to voters
- 2014-05-02 - "Enormous progress on integration, but we need to fight corruption", says Cardinal Napier
- 2014-04-04 - The Bishops: "President, give an explanation of the excessive expenditure on the renovation of your house with public money"
- 2014-03-10 - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
- 2013-12-10 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"