ASIA/PAKISTAN - Solidarity towards the orphans of the massacre in the church of Peshawar
Peshawar (Agenzia Fides) - They have had their lives turned upside down by the terrorism that crept into the very walls of the church: there are visible signs of the hundreds of orphans and widows who are still suffering from mental or physical pain and traumas and where 127 people were killed. Many of them are still in the recovery phase and under medical care. The massacre took place in the "All Saints" church in Peshawar on September 22, 2013 as a result of a suicide terrorist attack. In this difficult situation, different Christian communities of various denominations and civil society organizations are working for the recovery of the wounded, giving assistance to widows and orphans. "Currently, the government support is limited and there is a desperate need for medical care, rehabilitation for the injured and necessity to ensure education to orphaned children" say local activists to Fides. The "Cecil & Irish Chaudhry Foundation", an organization that works for the rights of minorities in Pakistan, is offering its contribution in this field. The foundation has launched a specific project for the rehabilitation of children affected by the attack.
The foundation continues to organize fundraisers and events which can support the project. Michelle Chaudhry, President of the Foundation, told Fides: "The attacks carried out against the Christian community in Peshawar have left signs, the local people are very angry and distraught. It was the worst attack ever experienced in the history of Pakistan against the Christian community. It is urgent to relieve the pain. We can help rebuild trust and hope. Although it is a long process, we must continue to support those affected". (KA-PA) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2015-01-26 - New church dedicated to Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, in an area where poor families live
- 2015-01-17 - Conversions and forced marriages legitimized by the High Court
- 2015-01-16 - The Director of a Christian magazine: "With the Pope we say no to the vilification of Islam"
- 2015-01-13 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A mentally disabled man killed on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-01-12 - A hall of Christian worship set on fire: faithful in terror
- 2015-01-08 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Attack in Paris: "Not in the name of Allah"
- 2015-01-07 - Hundreds of children are starving to death because of the drought in the south of the Country
- 2014-12-29 - Anti-terrorism Committee: no religious minority representatives
- 2014-12-23 - Share of government jobs reserved for minorities: still an illusion
- 2014-12-22 - Christmas: solidarity with the victims of the massacre in Peshawar