ASIA/PAKISTAN - Solidarity towards the orphans of the massacre in the church of Peshawar
Peshawar (Agenzia Fides) - They have had their lives turned upside down by the terrorism that crept into the very walls of the church: there are visible signs of the hundreds of orphans and widows who are still suffering from mental or physical pain and traumas and where 127 people were killed. Many of them are still in the recovery phase and under medical care. The massacre took place in the "All Saints" church in Peshawar on September 22, 2013 as a result of a suicide terrorist attack. In this difficult situation, different Christian communities of various denominations and civil society organizations are working for the recovery of the wounded, giving assistance to widows and orphans. "Currently, the government support is limited and there is a desperate need for medical care, rehabilitation for the injured and necessity to ensure education to orphaned children" say local activists to Fides. The "Cecil & Irish Chaudhry Foundation", an organization that works for the rights of minorities in Pakistan, is offering its contribution in this field. The foundation has launched a specific project for the rehabilitation of children affected by the attack.
The foundation continues to organize fundraisers and events which can support the project. Michelle Chaudhry, President of the Foundation, told Fides: "The attacks carried out against the Christian community in Peshawar have left signs, the local people are very angry and distraught. It was the worst attack ever experienced in the history of Pakistan against the Christian community. It is urgent to relieve the pain. We can help rebuild trust and hope. Although it is a long process, we must continue to support those affected". (KA-PA) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2014)
- 2014-12-22 - Christmas: solidarity with the victims of the massacre in Peshawar
- 2014-12-19 - False accusations of blasphemy towards 11 Christians
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: a minute of silence in Catholic schools, at Christmas prayer for peace
- 2014-12-17 - Civil society: "The Taliban and Pakistan are incompatible"
- 2014-12-17 - "Justice and Peace" Commission: after the massacre in Peshawar it is urgent to "rediscover unity"
- 2014-12-16 - Land grabbing, instrument of oppression against Christians
- 2014-12-09 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A Christian woman beaten and humiliated: justice moves
- 2014-12-05 - Missio Christmas Campaign for Asia Bibi
- 2014-12-04 - Archbishop Coutts: “Advent in the spirit of love of neighbour”
- 2014-11-29 - Pakistani Christians in Italy: motion for religious freedom