AFRICA/NIGERIA - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - There are no Catholic churches involved in yesterday’s attacks in the three villages near Chibok, the town in northern Nigeria where more than 200 girls were abducted in April by the Islamic extremist Boko Haram. This is confirmed to Fides Agency by Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Social Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja, who contacted Mgr.Oliver Dashe Doeme, Bishop of Maiduguri.
On June 29, a group of men armed with anti-aircraft gunners, carried out an assault on the three villages which are located a few kilometers from Chibok, destroying among other things, a place of Christian worship and killing dozens of people, including many faithful who were participating in a religious function.
"The human mind cannot understand what is happening. There is no reason for what they are doing, but they continue to do it", said Mgr. Doeme to Fr. Patrick. Fr. Patrick adds he managed to escape the attack of June 25, which hit a shopping center in Abuja, causing dozens of deaths: "I remember that on that day at that time I had an appointment in the mall’s square, where I usually park my car and where the bomb exploded. I thank God that the appointment was cancelled. Providence saved me", said the priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped
- 2015-04-29 - The Nigerian army have expressed joy for the release of hostages held by the Boko Haram Islamist sect and sorrow for the discovery of mass graves
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"