AFRICA/NIGERIA - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - There are no Catholic churches involved in yesterday’s attacks in the three villages near Chibok, the town in northern Nigeria where more than 200 girls were abducted in April by the Islamic extremist Boko Haram. This is confirmed to Fides Agency by Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Social Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja, who contacted Mgr.Oliver Dashe Doeme, Bishop of Maiduguri.
On June 29, a group of men armed with anti-aircraft gunners, carried out an assault on the three villages which are located a few kilometers from Chibok, destroying among other things, a place of Christian worship and killing dozens of people, including many faithful who were participating in a religious function.
"The human mind cannot understand what is happening. There is no reason for what they are doing, but they continue to do it", said Mgr. Doeme to Fr. Patrick. Fr. Patrick adds he managed to escape the attack of June 25, which hit a shopping center in Abuja, causing dozens of deaths: "I remember that on that day at that time I had an appointment in the mall’s square, where I usually park my car and where the bomb exploded. I thank God that the appointment was cancelled. Providence saved me", said the priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest
- 2015-06-03 - Boko Haram hits Maiduguri again
- 2015-06-02 - A priest killed in an attempted robbery
- 2015-06-01 - "Let us pray for the new President" says the President of the Episcopal Conference