AFRICA/NIGERIA - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - There are no Catholic churches involved in yesterday’s attacks in the three villages near Chibok, the town in northern Nigeria where more than 200 girls were abducted in April by the Islamic extremist Boko Haram. This is confirmed to Fides Agency by Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Social Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja, who contacted Mgr.Oliver Dashe Doeme, Bishop of Maiduguri.
On June 29, a group of men armed with anti-aircraft gunners, carried out an assault on the three villages which are located a few kilometers from Chibok, destroying among other things, a place of Christian worship and killing dozens of people, including many faithful who were participating in a religious function.
"The human mind cannot understand what is happening. There is no reason for what they are doing, but they continue to do it", said Mgr. Doeme to Fr. Patrick. Fr. Patrick adds he managed to escape the attack of June 25, which hit a shopping center in Abuja, causing dozens of deaths: "I remember that on that day at that time I had an appointment in the mall’s square, where I usually park my car and where the bomb exploded. I thank God that the appointment was cancelled. Providence saved me", said the priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram
- 2014-08-20 - "Ill-gotten wealth from oil bunkering could be used to destabilize", said the Bishop of Umuahia
- 2014-08-19 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos
- 2014-08-06 - New attacks against Catholic churches. The details of the attack in Kano perpetrated by a female suicide bomber
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan