AFRICA/NIGERIA - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - There are no Catholic churches involved in yesterday’s attacks in the three villages near Chibok, the town in northern Nigeria where more than 200 girls were abducted in April by the Islamic extremist Boko Haram. This is confirmed to Fides Agency by Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Social Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja, who contacted Mgr.Oliver Dashe Doeme, Bishop of Maiduguri.
On June 29, a group of men armed with anti-aircraft gunners, carried out an assault on the three villages which are located a few kilometers from Chibok, destroying among other things, a place of Christian worship and killing dozens of people, including many faithful who were participating in a religious function.
"The human mind cannot understand what is happening. There is no reason for what they are doing, but they continue to do it", said Mgr. Doeme to Fr. Patrick. Fr. Patrick adds he managed to escape the attack of June 25, which hit a shopping center in Abuja, causing dozens of deaths: "I remember that on that day at that time I had an appointment in the mall’s square, where I usually park my car and where the bomb exploded. I thank God that the appointment was cancelled. Providence saved me", said the priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - New attack in the northeast while the President denounces: "the army sabotaged by corruption"
- 2015-11-12 - Bishop of Maiduguri's appeal: "We need concrete help for displaced people affected by Boko Haram"
- 2015-10-22 - Fresh attacks by Boko Haram, US intensifies military assistance to threatened countries
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"