AMERICA/MEXICO - The complaint of the Bishop of Saltillo: "Stop physical violence against detainees"
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - Elements of the "Special Weapons and Tactics Group" (GATE) went to the prisons of Coahuila to beat up the detainees: this was denounced by the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, Coahuila (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Raul Vera Lopez, O.P. This is becoming a systematic approach of the authorities to maintain control and extort confessions, the Bishop said in a statement sent to Fides. Abuse and beatings on behalf of the police against persons detained as suspects, not only occur with impunity on the streets, but also within the institutions of social rehabilitation.
Mgr. Vera spoke yesterday, June 29th, after Sunday Mass, commenting on the death of an inmate last week. According to initial reports, he died as a result of military attacks suffered by these military groups. "We have already reported, how these soldiers come to prisons, in particular, GATE, and then attack and beat the boys - said the Bishop -.
"The prisoners themselves are aware that they already pay for their mistake by staying in prisons, but physical punishment is too much", said the Bishop, who on more than one occasion has paid the prisoners a visit. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase