AMERICA/MEXICO - The complaint of the Bishop of Saltillo: "Stop physical violence against detainees"
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - Elements of the "Special Weapons and Tactics Group" (GATE) went to the prisons of Coahuila to beat up the detainees: this was denounced by the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, Coahuila (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Raul Vera Lopez, O.P. This is becoming a systematic approach of the authorities to maintain control and extort confessions, the Bishop said in a statement sent to Fides. Abuse and beatings on behalf of the police against persons detained as suspects, not only occur with impunity on the streets, but also within the institutions of social rehabilitation.
Mgr. Vera spoke yesterday, June 29th, after Sunday Mass, commenting on the death of an inmate last week. According to initial reports, he died as a result of military attacks suffered by these military groups. "We have already reported, how these soldiers come to prisons, in particular, GATE, and then attack and beat the boys - said the Bishop -.
"The prisoners themselves are aware that they already pay for their mistake by staying in prisons, but physical punishment is too much", said the Bishop, who on more than one occasion has paid the prisoners a visit. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"