AMERICA/MEXICO - The complaint of the Bishop of Saltillo: "Stop physical violence against detainees"
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - Elements of the "Special Weapons and Tactics Group" (GATE) went to the prisons of Coahuila to beat up the detainees: this was denounced by the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, Coahuila (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Raul Vera Lopez, O.P. This is becoming a systematic approach of the authorities to maintain control and extort confessions, the Bishop said in a statement sent to Fides. Abuse and beatings on behalf of the police against persons detained as suspects, not only occur with impunity on the streets, but also within the institutions of social rehabilitation.
Mgr. Vera spoke yesterday, June 29th, after Sunday Mass, commenting on the death of an inmate last week. According to initial reports, he died as a result of military attacks suffered by these military groups. "We have already reported, how these soldiers come to prisons, in particular, GATE, and then attack and beat the boys - said the Bishop -.
"The prisoners themselves are aware that they already pay for their mistake by staying in prisons, but physical punishment is too much", said the Bishop, who on more than one occasion has paid the prisoners a visit. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop