AMERICA/MEXICO - The complaint of the Bishop of Saltillo: "Stop physical violence against detainees"
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - Elements of the "Special Weapons and Tactics Group" (GATE) went to the prisons of Coahuila to beat up the detainees: this was denounced by the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, Coahuila (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Raul Vera Lopez, O.P. This is becoming a systematic approach of the authorities to maintain control and extort confessions, the Bishop said in a statement sent to Fides. Abuse and beatings on behalf of the police against persons detained as suspects, not only occur with impunity on the streets, but also within the institutions of social rehabilitation.
Mgr. Vera spoke yesterday, June 29th, after Sunday Mass, commenting on the death of an inmate last week. According to initial reports, he died as a result of military attacks suffered by these military groups. "We have already reported, how these soldiers come to prisons, in particular, GATE, and then attack and beat the boys - said the Bishop -.
"The prisoners themselves are aware that they already pay for their mistake by staying in prisons, but physical punishment is too much", said the Bishop, who on more than one occasion has paid the prisoners a visit. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace