AMERICA/MEXICO - The complaint of the Bishop of Saltillo: "Stop physical violence against detainees"
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - Elements of the "Special Weapons and Tactics Group" (GATE) went to the prisons of Coahuila to beat up the detainees: this was denounced by the Bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, Coahuila (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. Raul Vera Lopez, O.P. This is becoming a systematic approach of the authorities to maintain control and extort confessions, the Bishop said in a statement sent to Fides. Abuse and beatings on behalf of the police against persons detained as suspects, not only occur with impunity on the streets, but also within the institutions of social rehabilitation.
Mgr. Vera spoke yesterday, June 29th, after Sunday Mass, commenting on the death of an inmate last week. According to initial reports, he died as a result of military attacks suffered by these military groups. "We have already reported, how these soldiers come to prisons, in particular, GATE, and then attack and beat the boys - said the Bishop -.
"The prisoners themselves are aware that they already pay for their mistake by staying in prisons, but physical punishment is too much", said the Bishop, who on more than one occasion has paid the prisoners a visit. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/06/2014)
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language