AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
Magangué (Agenzia Fides) - It is urgent to find the appropriate solution with regards to the plight of internally displaced persons: is the appeal launched to public institutions by Mgr. Hernán Giraldo Jaramillo, Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Magangué, about 500 kilometers north of Bogota.
The internally displaced persons have increased dramatically in the area, who come because of the presence of guerrilla warfare and violence in their lands of origin. The displaced people occupy public areas or private land and this has caused tension and skirmishes with the local population of Magangué. "We reiterate the urgent appeal to government officials to do their duty and responsibility to find a solution", says the Bishop in the note sent to Fides Agency.
In the same statement, the Bishop describes the situation: "In less than a week 14 lands have been occupied by displaced persons and there have been violent conflict amongst the population where a person has died. In a city of 125,000 residents, there are over 10 thousand displaced people who need assistance in everything". The Church also appeals to the population involved in the emergency and to citizens who see their land occupied not to resort to violence and to use legal means to seek solutions.
The latest report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reports Colombia as a special case, because 5.5 million of people (see Fides 20/06/2014) have been forced to flee their homes to protect their lives and those of their families. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/06/2014)
AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPS ARE INCREASING: THE CHURCH APPEALS TO THE AUTHORITIES TO RESOLVE THE CRISIS
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue