AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
Magangué (Agenzia Fides) - It is urgent to find the appropriate solution with regards to the plight of internally displaced persons: is the appeal launched to public institutions by Mgr. Hernán Giraldo Jaramillo, Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Magangué, about 500 kilometers north of Bogota.
The internally displaced persons have increased dramatically in the area, who come because of the presence of guerrilla warfare and violence in their lands of origin. The displaced people occupy public areas or private land and this has caused tension and skirmishes with the local population of Magangué. "We reiterate the urgent appeal to government officials to do their duty and responsibility to find a solution", says the Bishop in the note sent to Fides Agency.
In the same statement, the Bishop describes the situation: "In less than a week 14 lands have been occupied by displaced persons and there have been violent conflict amongst the population where a person has died. In a city of 125,000 residents, there are over 10 thousand displaced people who need assistance in everything". The Church also appeals to the population involved in the emergency and to citizens who see their land occupied not to resort to violence and to use legal means to seek solutions.
The latest report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reports Colombia as a special case, because 5.5 million of people (see Fides 20/06/2014) have been forced to flee their homes to protect their lives and those of their families. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/06/2014)
AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPS ARE INCREASING: THE CHURCH APPEALS TO THE AUTHORITIES TO RESOLVE THE CRISIS
- 2014-10-17 - "We hope peace is near" says Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-10-08 - The Auxiliary Bishop of Medellin: "We cannot get used to violence"
- 2014-10-06 - Another priest killed for armed robbery
- 2014-10-02 - Members of the third delegation of victims set off for Havana to meet with FARC representatives
- 2014-09-30 - Working with the indigenous open to inculturation: the commitment of the Apostolic Vicar of Mitu
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC