EUROPE/ITALY - A "social audio book" in defense of the Africans with albinism, the last of the last
Padua (Agenzia Fides) - "They are white in Africa. They are the last of the last" reads the home page of the site dedicated to the initiative in defense of Africans suffering from albinism which bears the same name of the novel, "Ombra Bianca", written by Christian Gentili. The book, published in 2013, tells the story of a little girl born albino in Tanzania, a country where the writer, linked to the organization Doctors with Africa CUAMM, worked for many years.
Marginalized by society that does not consider them Africans, by the labor market, by the same family members that in many cases abandon them at birth, the "African albinos" are victims of ritual murders. Their persecution is due to superstition. Then find themselves struggling to survive from birth. In Africa, the rate of albinism is among the highest in the world and people with albinism suffer from serious health problems due to the lack of melanin and the constant exposure to the equatorial sun, which causes burns, infections, blindness and in most cases skin cancers. 80% of Tanzanian albinos do not exceed 30 years of age.
To draw attention to this tragedy that affects thousands of Africans, the first "social audio book was born". The novel "Ombra Bianca" was divided in thousands of sentences. Everyone can help by reading, singing or reciting a chosen phrase. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/06/2014)
- 2014-10-03 - A year ago, the tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea, memory and heritage
- 2014-09-27 - 145th Salesian Missionary Expedition: to go all over the world to educate and evangelize
- 2014-09-08 - Middle East education emergency: school year at risk for millions of students
- 2014-07-16 - Twelve hours of continuous prayer for peace in the Holy Land
- 2014-07-11 - Bicycles to reach blind children in remote areas of Africa
- 2014-06-28 - A "social audio book" in defense of the Africans with albinism, the last of the last
- 2014-05-23 - EUROPE/ITALY – Beatification of Mario Vergara, PIME martyr and Isidoro Ngei Ko Lat, first Burmese Blessed
- 2014-04-24 - Four young people at the service of the last will talk about their experience on the web
- 2014-03-27 - Campaign to improve diagnosis and treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
- 2014-03-21 - EUROPE/ITALY – 24 March, Day of Missionary Martyrs: like them, we are all "witnesses" of the Gospel