EUROPE/ITALY - A "social audio book" in defense of the Africans with albinism, the last of the last
Padua (Agenzia Fides) - "They are white in Africa. They are the last of the last" reads the home page of the site dedicated to the initiative in defense of Africans suffering from albinism which bears the same name of the novel, "Ombra Bianca", written by Christian Gentili. The book, published in 2013, tells the story of a little girl born albino in Tanzania, a country where the writer, linked to the organization Doctors with Africa CUAMM, worked for many years.
Marginalized by society that does not consider them Africans, by the labor market, by the same family members that in many cases abandon them at birth, the "African albinos" are victims of ritual murders. Their persecution is due to superstition. Then find themselves struggling to survive from birth. In Africa, the rate of albinism is among the highest in the world and people with albinism suffer from serious health problems due to the lack of melanin and the constant exposure to the equatorial sun, which causes burns, infections, blindness and in most cases skin cancers. 80% of Tanzanian albinos do not exceed 30 years of age.
To draw attention to this tragedy that affects thousands of Africans, the first "social audio book was born". The novel "Ombra Bianca" was divided in thousands of sentences. Everyone can help by reading, singing or reciting a chosen phrase. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/06/2014)
- 2015-05-19 - Do not allow habit and indifference to take place in the face of the ongoing persecution of Christians worldwide
- 2015-04-13 - 150 years after the delivery of the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help to the Redemptorists
- 2015-03-24 - Permanent Council of Cei: moment of prayer for martyrs, missionaries and lay people
- 2015-03-23 - Day of Missionary Martyrs: 1,062 missionaries killed in the world from 1980 to 2014
- 2015-03-16 - Cardinal Filoni: Africa needs encouragement and solidarity, not migration, or the purchase of weapons and looting
- 2015-01-23 - Scalabrini Missionaries open a community in Syracuse to welcome migrants
- 2014-12-10 - EUROPE/ITALY – NGO together for the rights of people with disabilities
- 2014-11-19 - National Missionary Conference: to rekindle the fire of the mission ad gentes
- 2014-11-10 - The number of Nigerian women destined for sexual slavery has tripled
- 2014-10-27 - EUROPE/ITALY – The "challenge of charity" for many "outlawed poor people" of our times