AFRICA/CAMEROON - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - The Cameroonian gendarmes arrested one of the alleged kidnappers of the two Italian priests and Canadian nun kidnapped on April 5 and released on June 1 (see Fides 05/04/2014; 05/05/2014; 02/06/2014). We are talking about a man of Cameroonian nationality, who was stopped by the military because they had received some complaints from the local population. The man is suspected of being part of a gang dedicated to the abduction of foreign nationals in the territory of Cameroon, probably in cahoots with elements of the Boko Haram Nigerian Islamist sect. The hostages, in fact, once kidnapped in Cameroon are transferred to Nigeria, where they are held by local accomplices.
In addition to the two Italian Fidei Donum priests of the diocese of Vicenza, Fr. Gianantonio Allegri and Fr. Giampaolo Marta, and Sister Gilberte Bussier of the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Montreal, the gang is also suspected of having kidnapped Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch, a French Fidei Donum priest, who was also later released (see Fides 03/01/2014). In the area on the border between Nigeria and Cameroon 10 Chinese workers are still missing, of whom nothing is known. (LM.) (Agenzia Fides 27/06/2014)
- 2014-09-03 - Humanitarian emergency for more than 30.000 people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested
- 2014-06-02 - Missionaries released: "A grace of God and a time of joy for the Church", said Cardinal Filoni who met them
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A Church which is dynamic, lively and growing, despite difficulties: Cardinal Filoni meets the Bishops and priests of Cameroon
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A hundred years after the Evangelization of Bamenda: deepen your faith and renew your missionary commitment urges Cardinal Filoni
- 2014-05-27 - 100 years of evangelization in Bamenda: "We aim at the inculturation of faith and human promotion", says the Archbishop
- 2014-05-05 - The Bishops of Cameroon : "We pray for the speedy and unconditional release of the kidnapped missionaries"
- 2014-04-10 - There is growing concern about the influx of refugees from Central Africa
- 2014-04-07 - No contact with the kidnappers, Boko Haram could probably be behind the kidnapping