AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - At the conclusion of a meeting of the National Conciliation Commission (CCN), which is led by the Catholic Church, His Exc. Mgr. José Daniel Falla Robles, Auxiliary Bishop of Cali and Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC), has launched an appeal so that the peace talks being held in Havana, Cuba, take account of all the victims, ensuring fair compensation.
"It is easy to decide policies and agreements without looking at the person, but the key is the pain of the person. Who has carried out some act of terrorism must understand the pain he has caused (...), every act is of great social responsibility" said Mgr. Falla, according to the note sent to Fides. "I launch an appeal so one takes into account all those who suffer and are yearning for a reconciled nation", said the Archbishop. "The best thing for our country is to lay down arms and begin to build peace, and there must be greater transparency ans sincerity".
The Vice President of the current Government of Colombia, Angelino Garzon, who participated in this meeting invited by the CCN, speaking to the press said: "We all have to listen to this third voice which is so authoritative, as it is the voice of the Catholic Church and the CCN, because the country needs proposals for dialogue and national reconciliation".
The Catholic Church has become the voice of reference of the national community as regards to the defense of those suffering and the victims of this fratricidal war. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/06/2014)
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez