AFRICA/KENYA - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The governor of Lamu, coastal region of Kenya, has been arrested in connection with the attacks in the city of Mpeketoni and the surrounding villages that caused at least 60 deaths (see Fides 24/06/2014). The crimes, at first claimed by Al Shabaab Somalis, were instead attributed by President Uhuru Kenyatta to local politicians. In addition to the governor, the police arrested several suspected members of the Mombasa Republic Council (MRC in English), a group that claims the separation of the coast from the rest of Kenya.
The Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, had reported to Fides Agency his concern that this violence could accentuate the political conflict in the Country (see Fides 18/06/2014). Christian religious leaders had called on national policy makers to refrain from posting inflammatory statements and instead work for national harmony (see Fides 24/06/2014). An invitation taken up by Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, who has asked the leaders of the government and the opposition to stop inciting the minds of the population. "Political leaders belong to different political parties, but we live in a single Country. Let us live in peace and harmony", said Cardinal Njue. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana