AFRICA/KENYA - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The governor of Lamu, coastal region of Kenya, has been arrested in connection with the attacks in the city of Mpeketoni and the surrounding villages that caused at least 60 deaths (see Fides 24/06/2014). The crimes, at first claimed by Al Shabaab Somalis, were instead attributed by President Uhuru Kenyatta to local politicians. In addition to the governor, the police arrested several suspected members of the Mombasa Republic Council (MRC in English), a group that claims the separation of the coast from the rest of Kenya.
The Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, had reported to Fides Agency his concern that this violence could accentuate the political conflict in the Country (see Fides 18/06/2014). Christian religious leaders had called on national policy makers to refrain from posting inflammatory statements and instead work for national harmony (see Fides 24/06/2014). An invitation taken up by Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, who has asked the leaders of the government and the opposition to stop inciting the minds of the population. "Political leaders belong to different political parties, but we live in a single Country. Let us live in peace and harmony", said Cardinal Njue. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage