AFRICA/KENYA - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The governor of Lamu, coastal region of Kenya, has been arrested in connection with the attacks in the city of Mpeketoni and the surrounding villages that caused at least 60 deaths (see Fides 24/06/2014). The crimes, at first claimed by Al Shabaab Somalis, were instead attributed by President Uhuru Kenyatta to local politicians. In addition to the governor, the police arrested several suspected members of the Mombasa Republic Council (MRC in English), a group that claims the separation of the coast from the rest of Kenya.
The Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, had reported to Fides Agency his concern that this violence could accentuate the political conflict in the Country (see Fides 18/06/2014). Christian religious leaders had called on national policy makers to refrain from posting inflammatory statements and instead work for national harmony (see Fides 24/06/2014). An invitation taken up by Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, who has asked the leaders of the government and the opposition to stop inciting the minds of the population. "Political leaders belong to different political parties, but we live in a single Country. Let us live in peace and harmony", said Cardinal Njue. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"