AFRICA/KENYA - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The governor of Lamu, coastal region of Kenya, has been arrested in connection with the attacks in the city of Mpeketoni and the surrounding villages that caused at least 60 deaths (see Fides 24/06/2014). The crimes, at first claimed by Al Shabaab Somalis, were instead attributed by President Uhuru Kenyatta to local politicians. In addition to the governor, the police arrested several suspected members of the Mombasa Republic Council (MRC in English), a group that claims the separation of the coast from the rest of Kenya.
The Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, had reported to Fides Agency his concern that this violence could accentuate the political conflict in the Country (see Fides 18/06/2014). Christian religious leaders had called on national policy makers to refrain from posting inflammatory statements and instead work for national harmony (see Fides 24/06/2014). An invitation taken up by Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, who has asked the leaders of the government and the opposition to stop inciting the minds of the population. "Political leaders belong to different political parties, but we live in a single Country. Let us live in peace and harmony", said Cardinal Njue. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor