AFRICA/KENYA - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The governor of Lamu, coastal region of Kenya, has been arrested in connection with the attacks in the city of Mpeketoni and the surrounding villages that caused at least 60 deaths (see Fides 24/06/2014). The crimes, at first claimed by Al Shabaab Somalis, were instead attributed by President Uhuru Kenyatta to local politicians. In addition to the governor, the police arrested several suspected members of the Mombasa Republic Council (MRC in English), a group that claims the separation of the coast from the rest of Kenya.
The Bishop of Malindi and Apostolic Administrator of Mombasa, His Exc. Mgr. Emanuel Barbara, had reported to Fides Agency his concern that this violence could accentuate the political conflict in the Country (see Fides 18/06/2014). Christian religious leaders had called on national policy makers to refrain from posting inflammatory statements and instead work for national harmony (see Fides 24/06/2014). An invitation taken up by Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, who has asked the leaders of the government and the opposition to stop inciting the minds of the population. "Political leaders belong to different political parties, but we live in a single Country. Let us live in peace and harmony", said Cardinal Njue. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2015-11-27 - The greetings of a resident in Kibera to Pope Francis: "I am proud to live in an informal settlement"
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children