ASIA/JORDAN - Caritas distributes aid to poor Muslim families before the start of Ramadan
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday 25th of June, on the eve of the start of Ramadan - the holy month of fasting for Muslims - Caritas Jordan participated in the distribution of vouchers for the purchase of livelihood in favor of poor Muslim families. The project, carried out in collaboration with the Promising Hands Association - sponsored by Princess Alia Tabba' – culminated in the delivery of a hundred vouchers for needy families to be spent at supermarkets and food centers affiliated.
The distribution was made in a room in a community center in the Hashimi neighborhood, in a poor area of the Jordan capital. Princess Alia, the Catholic Archbishop Maroun Laham, some local politicians, two Catholic priests, some Muslim clerics and two deputies rooted in the territory were present.
"In my speech", says to Fides Archbishop Laham, Patriarchal Vicar for Jordan of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, "I recalled Pope Francis’ beautiful words during his recent visit to the Hashemite Kingdom with regards to the work of Caritas among refugees and I asked the Muslim brothers and sisters to also pray for Christians during Ramadan. Prayer can unite the hearts and inspire joint action in favor of peace and coexistence in Jordan, the Middle East and around the world". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2014-10-20 - Archbishop Laham: 4 thousand displaced Iraqi Christians all want to emigrate to the West
- 2014-09-25 - King Abdallah II to the UN: Christians are a "constitutive" part of the Middle East
- 2014-09-17 - King Abdullah II: we will do our best to increase the presence of Arab Christians
- 2014-08-22 - Caritas Jordan welcomes Iraqi Christians put to flight by the jihadists of the Islamic State (IS)
- 2014-06-26 - Caritas distributes aid to poor Muslim families before the start of Ramadan
- 2014-06-24 - A thousand children born in the refugee camp in Zaatari. The director of Caritas: we give them a future
- 2014-05-21 - Syrian refugees await Pope Francis. The director of Caritas Jordan: they hope that the world will remember them
- 2014-05-19 - 1,400 children to receive first communion at Pope-led mass at the Amman Stadium
- 2014-05-15 - The relatives of the martyr, Archbishop Rahho write to the Pope on the eve of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-05-03 - A special prayer for the Pope's pilgrimage to the Holy Land