ASIA/JORDAN - Caritas distributes aid to poor Muslim families before the start of Ramadan
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday 25th of June, on the eve of the start of Ramadan - the holy month of fasting for Muslims - Caritas Jordan participated in the distribution of vouchers for the purchase of livelihood in favor of poor Muslim families. The project, carried out in collaboration with the Promising Hands Association - sponsored by Princess Alia Tabba' – culminated in the delivery of a hundred vouchers for needy families to be spent at supermarkets and food centers affiliated.
The distribution was made in a room in a community center in the Hashimi neighborhood, in a poor area of the Jordan capital. Princess Alia, the Catholic Archbishop Maroun Laham, some local politicians, two Catholic priests, some Muslim clerics and two deputies rooted in the territory were present.
"In my speech", says to Fides Archbishop Laham, Patriarchal Vicar for Jordan of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, "I recalled Pope Francis’ beautiful words during his recent visit to the Hashemite Kingdom with regards to the work of Caritas among refugees and I asked the Muslim brothers and sisters to also pray for Christians during Ramadan. Prayer can unite the hearts and inspire joint action in favor of peace and coexistence in Jordan, the Middle East and around the world". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2014)
- 2015-01-22 - King Abdullah II praises the Pope: religions must not offended
- 2015-01-05 - Christian Schools welcome the Iraqis children who fled from Mosul and Nineveh Plain
- 2015-01-02 - The Grand Mufti of Jordan: the pronouncement of the "Fatwa" is reserved for authorized experts
- 2014-12-16 - More than 7,000 Christian refugees from Iraq; Caritas Jordan: "in two months we will not have anymore resources to assist them"
- 2014-12-03 - Caritas Jordan in Salt launches ”Winter Campaign”
- 2014-11-24 - Conference on Christians and "Arab Springs". Father Bader: a historical phase which was followed only by negative effects
- 2014-10-30 - King Abdullah II to Armenian President: Christians helped to build the Arab civilization
- 2014-10-29 - An Armenian baptismal church consecrated on the banks of the Jordan
- 2014-10-28 - A new Caritas center in Karak
- 2014-10-20 - Archbishop Laham: 4 thousand displaced Iraqi Christians all want to emigrate to the West