ASIA/PAKISTAN - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi
ASIA/PAKISTAN - Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – It is necessary to immediately fix the first hearing for Asia Bibi: is what is said in a petition filed at the Lahore High Court yesterday, June 24, by lawyers S.K. Chaudry and Sardar Mustaq Gill. The text of the petition, sent to Fides Agency, invites the judges to proceed with urgency, explaining that "Asia Bibi is not in good health, both physical and psychological; one must also consider the urgent need she has to take care of her children; she is innocent and is hoping for an acquittal". The petition filed continues: "Given the urgency of the case, we ask a section of the court to work during the holiday period and that the hearing can be fixed during this time".
The appeal process for the Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy in 2014 has been postponed at least five times, for various reasons. On May 27, the case inexplicably disappeared from the list of hearings. The woman has been in jail since 2009. "In spite of everything, we have confidence in our judiciary and we are hopeful for the release of Asia, because she is innocent", explains lawyer Sardar Mushtaq Gill to Fides. The lawyer points out that he and other colleagues who are working to defend cases of Christians falsely accused of blasphemy, continue to receive death threats. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2014)
- 2015-01-30 - Anti-Charlie Hebdo protesters storm Christian school
- 2015-01-29 - Legal battle for the custody of the children of the Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-01-28 - Taseer murder, justice to the test
- 2015-01-26 - New church dedicated to Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, in an area where poor families live
- 2015-01-17 - Conversions and forced marriages legitimized by the High Court
- 2015-01-16 - The Director of a Christian magazine: "With the Pope we say no to the vilification of Islam"
- 2015-01-13 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A mentally disabled man killed on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-01-12 - A hall of Christian worship set on fire: faithful in terror
- 2015-01-08 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Attack in Paris: "Not in the name of Allah"
- 2015-01-07 - Hundreds of children are starving to death because of the drought in the south of the Country