ASIA/PAKISTAN - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi
ASIA/PAKISTAN - Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – It is necessary to immediately fix the first hearing for Asia Bibi: is what is said in a petition filed at the Lahore High Court yesterday, June 24, by lawyers S.K. Chaudry and Sardar Mustaq Gill. The text of the petition, sent to Fides Agency, invites the judges to proceed with urgency, explaining that "Asia Bibi is not in good health, both physical and psychological; one must also consider the urgent need she has to take care of her children; she is innocent and is hoping for an acquittal". The petition filed continues: "Given the urgency of the case, we ask a section of the court to work during the holiday period and that the hearing can be fixed during this time".
The appeal process for the Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy in 2014 has been postponed at least five times, for various reasons. On May 27, the case inexplicably disappeared from the list of hearings. The woman has been in jail since 2009. "In spite of everything, we have confidence in our judiciary and we are hopeful for the release of Asia, because she is innocent", explains lawyer Sardar Mushtaq Gill to Fides. The lawyer points out that he and other colleagues who are working to defend cases of Christians falsely accused of blasphemy, continue to receive death threats. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2014)
- 2015-07-02 - The police save a Christian accused of blasphemy from being lynched
- 2015-07-01 - Three missionary nuns forced to leave Pakistan
- 2015-06-30 - A thousand victims in five days due to heatwave
- 2015-06-30 - A Christian accused of blasphemy mocked by his lawyers
- 2015-06-26 - Visas denied to missionary nuns: the Church of Islamabad files lawsuit
- 2015-06-25 - Government's plan for the security of religious minorities
- 2015-06-24 - Threats to the president of the "Pakistan Youth Alliance"
- 2015-06-22 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – The Bishops: "Joy and gratitude for the encyclical Laudato sì"
- 2015-06-19 - Urgency to set up a "special investigation team" for cases of blasphemy
- 2015-06-11 - Threats to a Christian community in Karachi