ASIA/PAKISTAN - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi
ASIA/PAKISTAN - Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – It is necessary to immediately fix the first hearing for Asia Bibi: is what is said in a petition filed at the Lahore High Court yesterday, June 24, by lawyers S.K. Chaudry and Sardar Mustaq Gill. The text of the petition, sent to Fides Agency, invites the judges to proceed with urgency, explaining that "Asia Bibi is not in good health, both physical and psychological; one must also consider the urgent need she has to take care of her children; she is innocent and is hoping for an acquittal". The petition filed continues: "Given the urgency of the case, we ask a section of the court to work during the holiday period and that the hearing can be fixed during this time".
The appeal process for the Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy in 2014 has been postponed at least five times, for various reasons. On May 27, the case inexplicably disappeared from the list of hearings. The woman has been in jail since 2009. "In spite of everything, we have confidence in our judiciary and we are hopeful for the release of Asia, because she is innocent", explains lawyer Sardar Mushtaq Gill to Fides. The lawyer points out that he and other colleagues who are working to defend cases of Christians falsely accused of blasphemy, continue to receive death threats. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2014)
- 2015-03-03 - In defense of the rights of minorities, Shahbaz Bhatti remembered
- 2015-02-25 - New Amnesty Report: "Religious intolerance increases"
- 2015-02-23 - Robbery and kidnapping in a Catholic church
- 2015-02-17 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Women’s Day in Faisalabad: greater rights and dignity for working women
- 2015-02-16 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Expectation for appeal verdict for the murderer of governor Taseer
- 2015-02-13 - Blasphemy: the judiciary in Punjab lists 50 unfounded cases and organizes rapid trials
- 2015-02-10 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "Blessed are the parents who teach love, not hatred to their children"
- 2015-01-31 - "Ensuring security and justice for minorities": New Report by Human Rights Watch
- 2015-01-30 - Anti-Charlie Hebdo protesters storm Christian school
- 2015-01-29 - Legal battle for the custody of the children of the Christian couple burned alive