AFRICA/KENYA - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
Isiolo (Agenzia Fides) - In the rural county of Isiolo in central Kenya, more than 143 thousand people devoted mainly to agriculture live. Due to poor sanitation, diseases caused by unclean water (gastro-intestinal infections, dysentery, malaria) are among the most common causes of death for the most vulnerable sections of the population such as infants, children, pregnant women. Among the initiatives aimed at improving access to clean water sources and to sensitize the population to proper sanitation behaviour, the Medical Cooperation Committee (CMM), together with the International Association of Lay Volunteers (LVIA), support the local authorities in the implementation of a project so that the most common diseases can be recognized and treated in time. The initiative is concentrated in the districts of Isiolo and Gambella, where there are 15 health centers and dispensaries that CCM assists through the provision of medicines and small equipment, as well as training and supervision of health personnel. The community awareness on health and hygiene takes place in health centers, schools and markets. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus