AFRICA/KENYA - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
Isiolo (Agenzia Fides) - In the rural county of Isiolo in central Kenya, more than 143 thousand people devoted mainly to agriculture live. Due to poor sanitation, diseases caused by unclean water (gastro-intestinal infections, dysentery, malaria) are among the most common causes of death for the most vulnerable sections of the population such as infants, children, pregnant women. Among the initiatives aimed at improving access to clean water sources and to sensitize the population to proper sanitation behaviour, the Medical Cooperation Committee (CMM), together with the International Association of Lay Volunteers (LVIA), support the local authorities in the implementation of a project so that the most common diseases can be recognized and treated in time. The initiative is concentrated in the districts of Isiolo and Gambella, where there are 15 health centers and dispensaries that CCM assists through the provision of medicines and small equipment, as well as training and supervision of health personnel. The community awareness on health and hygiene takes place in health centers, schools and markets. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor