AFRICA/KENYA - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
Isiolo (Agenzia Fides) - In the rural county of Isiolo in central Kenya, more than 143 thousand people devoted mainly to agriculture live. Due to poor sanitation, diseases caused by unclean water (gastro-intestinal infections, dysentery, malaria) are among the most common causes of death for the most vulnerable sections of the population such as infants, children, pregnant women. Among the initiatives aimed at improving access to clean water sources and to sensitize the population to proper sanitation behaviour, the Medical Cooperation Committee (CMM), together with the International Association of Lay Volunteers (LVIA), support the local authorities in the implementation of a project so that the most common diseases can be recognized and treated in time. The initiative is concentrated in the districts of Isiolo and Gambella, where there are 15 health centers and dispensaries that CCM assists through the provision of medicines and small equipment, as well as training and supervision of health personnel. The community awareness on health and hygiene takes place in health centers, schools and markets. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"