AFRICA/KENYA - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
Isiolo (Agenzia Fides) - In the rural county of Isiolo in central Kenya, more than 143 thousand people devoted mainly to agriculture live. Due to poor sanitation, diseases caused by unclean water (gastro-intestinal infections, dysentery, malaria) are among the most common causes of death for the most vulnerable sections of the population such as infants, children, pregnant women. Among the initiatives aimed at improving access to clean water sources and to sensitize the population to proper sanitation behaviour, the Medical Cooperation Committee (CMM), together with the International Association of Lay Volunteers (LVIA), support the local authorities in the implementation of a project so that the most common diseases can be recognized and treated in time. The initiative is concentrated in the districts of Isiolo and Gambella, where there are 15 health centers and dispensaries that CCM assists through the provision of medicines and small equipment, as well as training and supervision of health personnel. The community awareness on health and hygiene takes place in health centers, schools and markets. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed