AFRICA/KENYA - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
Isiolo (Agenzia Fides) - In the rural county of Isiolo in central Kenya, more than 143 thousand people devoted mainly to agriculture live. Due to poor sanitation, diseases caused by unclean water (gastro-intestinal infections, dysentery, malaria) are among the most common causes of death for the most vulnerable sections of the population such as infants, children, pregnant women. Among the initiatives aimed at improving access to clean water sources and to sensitize the population to proper sanitation behaviour, the Medical Cooperation Committee (CMM), together with the International Association of Lay Volunteers (LVIA), support the local authorities in the implementation of a project so that the most common diseases can be recognized and treated in time. The initiative is concentrated in the districts of Isiolo and Gambella, where there are 15 health centers and dispensaries that CCM assists through the provision of medicines and small equipment, as well as training and supervision of health personnel. The community awareness on health and hygiene takes place in health centers, schools and markets. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages