AFRICA/KENYA - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "We have watched in recent days as politicians who promised and swore that never again would Kenya walk the sad road of ethnic violence of 2007/2008, move around inciting Kenyans against one another and causing unnecessary tensions", said a joint statement by the Christian religious leaders in Kenya. According to reports from CISA agency in Nairobi, the statement was presented on June 20 at a press conference which was held at the All Saints Cathedral in Nairobi.
"We call upon all Kenyans to cease from spreading rumours, incitement and inflammatory and derogatory remarks of any kind that may spiral to ethnic violence due to the volatile atmosphere" says the statement, which was published after the recent attacks in the counties of Baringo and Lamu.
The press conference comes at a time when the country is reeling from terrorist and criminal attacks that have left over a hundred people dead in Lamu and Baringo Counties (see Fides on 17 and 18 June 2014).
President Uhuru Kenyatta in a statement to the nation said the attacks in Mpeketoni Lamu County were politically instigated.
Christian leaders called on the government and the opposition to call off political rallies, demonstrations and meetings indefinitely and to establish dialogue. The spate of insecurity in the country have affected key industries including tourism, trade and international relations. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"