AFRICA/KENYA - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "We have watched in recent days as politicians who promised and swore that never again would Kenya walk the sad road of ethnic violence of 2007/2008, move around inciting Kenyans against one another and causing unnecessary tensions", said a joint statement by the Christian religious leaders in Kenya. According to reports from CISA agency in Nairobi, the statement was presented on June 20 at a press conference which was held at the All Saints Cathedral in Nairobi.
"We call upon all Kenyans to cease from spreading rumours, incitement and inflammatory and derogatory remarks of any kind that may spiral to ethnic violence due to the volatile atmosphere" says the statement, which was published after the recent attacks in the counties of Baringo and Lamu.
The press conference comes at a time when the country is reeling from terrorist and criminal attacks that have left over a hundred people dead in Lamu and Baringo Counties (see Fides on 17 and 18 June 2014).
President Uhuru Kenyatta in a statement to the nation said the attacks in Mpeketoni Lamu County were politically instigated.
Christian leaders called on the government and the opposition to call off political rallies, demonstrations and meetings indefinitely and to establish dialogue. The spate of insecurity in the country have affected key industries including tourism, trade and international relations. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights