AFRICA/KENYA - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "We have watched in recent days as politicians who promised and swore that never again would Kenya walk the sad road of ethnic violence of 2007/2008, move around inciting Kenyans against one another and causing unnecessary tensions", said a joint statement by the Christian religious leaders in Kenya. According to reports from CISA agency in Nairobi, the statement was presented on June 20 at a press conference which was held at the All Saints Cathedral in Nairobi.
"We call upon all Kenyans to cease from spreading rumours, incitement and inflammatory and derogatory remarks of any kind that may spiral to ethnic violence due to the volatile atmosphere" says the statement, which was published after the recent attacks in the counties of Baringo and Lamu.
The press conference comes at a time when the country is reeling from terrorist and criminal attacks that have left over a hundred people dead in Lamu and Baringo Counties (see Fides on 17 and 18 June 2014).
President Uhuru Kenyatta in a statement to the nation said the attacks in Mpeketoni Lamu County were politically instigated.
Christian leaders called on the government and the opposition to call off political rallies, demonstrations and meetings indefinitely and to establish dialogue. The spate of insecurity in the country have affected key industries including tourism, trade and international relations. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children
- 2015-10-26 - “The Bishops are certain the visit of Pope Francis will reinforce national unity