AFRICA/KENYA - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "We have watched in recent days as politicians who promised and swore that never again would Kenya walk the sad road of ethnic violence of 2007/2008, move around inciting Kenyans against one another and causing unnecessary tensions", said a joint statement by the Christian religious leaders in Kenya. According to reports from CISA agency in Nairobi, the statement was presented on June 20 at a press conference which was held at the All Saints Cathedral in Nairobi.
"We call upon all Kenyans to cease from spreading rumours, incitement and inflammatory and derogatory remarks of any kind that may spiral to ethnic violence due to the volatile atmosphere" says the statement, which was published after the recent attacks in the counties of Baringo and Lamu.
The press conference comes at a time when the country is reeling from terrorist and criminal attacks that have left over a hundred people dead in Lamu and Baringo Counties (see Fides on 17 and 18 June 2014).
President Uhuru Kenyatta in a statement to the nation said the attacks in Mpeketoni Lamu County were politically instigated.
Christian leaders called on the government and the opposition to call off political rallies, demonstrations and meetings indefinitely and to establish dialogue. The spate of insecurity in the country have affected key industries including tourism, trade and international relations. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed