AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - "Mission to relieve" is the theme of the Missionary Campaign 2014 which will be held during the month of October in Brazil. As highlighted in the note sent to Fides by the PMS in Brazil, "the theme emerges today as a great challenge for the mission", said Father Camilo Pauletti, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in this country.
The biblical passage that inspired the choice of the theme, "Mission to relieve" and the slogan "He has sent me to proclaim liberty" is taken from the Gospel of Luke (Lk 4:18), when in the synagogue in Nazareth, Jesus begins his ministry recalling the prophecy of Isaiah. "The mission of the Messiah is given by the God of life and therefore brings liberation to those who suffer from some form of slavery. Today, Jesus challenges us to take on the same mission", explains Fr. Pauletti.
The Missionary Campaign 2014 wants to draw attention to slavery and human trafficking in its various forms: exploitation in the workplace; sexual exploitation; trafficking in organs; trafficking of children for adoption. The PMS Brazil have the responsibility to organize, every year, the Missionary Campaign in collaboration with the Episcopal Conference (CNBB), through the Committee for Missionary Action and Interecclesial Cooperation, the Commission for the Amazon and other organizations that form the National Missionary Council (COMINA). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2014)
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins