AMERICA/HONDURAS - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "Children should be in every policy decision and in all social action, we cannot destroy them with bad decisions", said the Vicar of St. Michael the Archangel Cathedral in Tegucigalpa, Father Carlos Rubio, during yesterday’s celebration, Sunday 22 June.
According to the note sent to Fides from a local source, Father Rubio added that "we must not be indifferent to these problems, we must unite and act!". The reflection proposed by the Vicar of the Cathedral was inspired by the Gospel of the rich man and poor Lazarus: "How many rich people do we have here in Honduras? How many people think only about their own interests and not about the well-being of children?" he asked those present.
Father Rubio mainly focused on the national situation, blaming the authorities for having stolen resources and funds, thus causing the Honduran migration. "Only now they are beginning to do something, because we are on everyone's lips due to the international media", said the priest, who added: "Children and young people flee the country because the authorities do not offer opportunities to this sector of society, children are not the focus of their attention. Our authorities do not see these broken families!" He concluded, however, with a note of hope: "We can still put children at the center of every policy decision in and in all social action, but we must act now!"
Currently, at least 13 000 among Honduran children and adolescents are located in shopping centers or in the barracks of the United States, and for this reason a national committee led by the First Lady of Honduras, Ana Garcia de Hernandez, has organized a trip to the U.S. in order to verify the situation of these children. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/06/2014)
- 2015-10-27 - Bishop Emiliani encourages “Honduras can do it, can stand up, can react”
- 2015-10-06 - Honduran Community says goodbye to candles and "dirty" electricity
- 2015-10-02 - Honduran Missionary receives an award for human rights
- 2015-09-23 - Mgr. Emiliani denounces the "violent reactions in the face of any situation"
- 2015-09-21 - "Honduras is sick of hate", warns Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga
- 2015-09-09 - Children resist famine thanks to school snacks
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light