AMERICA/HONDURAS - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "Children should be in every policy decision and in all social action, we cannot destroy them with bad decisions", said the Vicar of St. Michael the Archangel Cathedral in Tegucigalpa, Father Carlos Rubio, during yesterday’s celebration, Sunday 22 June.
According to the note sent to Fides from a local source, Father Rubio added that "we must not be indifferent to these problems, we must unite and act!". The reflection proposed by the Vicar of the Cathedral was inspired by the Gospel of the rich man and poor Lazarus: "How many rich people do we have here in Honduras? How many people think only about their own interests and not about the well-being of children?" he asked those present.
Father Rubio mainly focused on the national situation, blaming the authorities for having stolen resources and funds, thus causing the Honduran migration. "Only now they are beginning to do something, because we are on everyone's lips due to the international media", said the priest, who added: "Children and young people flee the country because the authorities do not offer opportunities to this sector of society, children are not the focus of their attention. Our authorities do not see these broken families!" He concluded, however, with a note of hope: "We can still put children at the center of every policy decision in and in all social action, but we must act now!"
Currently, at least 13 000 among Honduran children and adolescents are located in shopping centers or in the barracks of the United States, and for this reason a national committee led by the First Lady of Honduras, Ana Garcia de Hernandez, has organized a trip to the U.S. in order to verify the situation of these children. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/06/2014)
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"
- 2015-01-15 - Over 3000 child beggars on the streets of big cities
- 2014-12-29 - Violence continues to affect mainly children and adolescents
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons