AFRICA/EGYPT - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - Lawyer Naguib Gabriel, leader of the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights, submitted to the Egyptian institutions a bill asking for the dissolution of the Salafist al-Nour Party, because of its incompatibility with the provisions of the Egyptian Constitution currently in force, which rules out any form of discrimination among Egyptian citizens on the basis of the religion professed.
The a-Nour Party, the main Salafist force operating in Egypt, in the presidential elections in May explicitly stated its support for the candidate Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who was elected president with more than 96% of the vote. In television interviews released during the election campaign, the former General al-Sisi had confirmed that in the event of a victory, in compliance with the provisions in the new Constitution, Egypt would no longer allow political parties with ideologies based on religious discrimination. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/214)
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors