AFRICA/EGYPT - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - Lawyer Naguib Gabriel, leader of the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights, submitted to the Egyptian institutions a bill asking for the dissolution of the Salafist al-Nour Party, because of its incompatibility with the provisions of the Egyptian Constitution currently in force, which rules out any form of discrimination among Egyptian citizens on the basis of the religion professed.
The a-Nour Party, the main Salafist force operating in Egypt, in the presidential elections in May explicitly stated its support for the candidate Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who was elected president with more than 96% of the vote. In television interviews released during the election campaign, the former General al-Sisi had confirmed that in the event of a victory, in compliance with the provisions in the new Constitution, Egypt would no longer allow political parties with ideologies based on religious discrimination. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/214)
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan