AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church has helped me to find a land, my land is now here in Colombia": is the testimony of Miodrag Jirsa, who comes from Yugoslavia and lives in the Latin American country as a refugee of war, thanks to the silent work of the Church and pastoral groups involved with the refugees, he has found his second home in Colombia. The note sent to Fides Agency by the Colombian Episcopal Conference on the occasion of World Refugee Day, which is celebrated today, June 20th, stresses the commitment of the Social Pastoral - Caritas Colombia.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) organized a series of activities in Bogota to raise awareness on the subject. The best known is the exhibition held in the main square of the capital, with gigantic pictures depicting scenes of ordinary people who are living as refugees in Colombia.
The Annual Report of the UNHCR highlights that more than 50 million people worldwide are forced to abandon their homes and land to flee and seek refuge. Colombia represents a special case, because we are talking about "internally displaced persons" (see Fides 20/06/2013): 5.5 million people have been forced to flee their homes to protect their lives and those of their families. In places where they arrive they have to face immense challenges in order to live with dignity. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2014)
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez