ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail for Islamic extremists who burned the Christian area
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Annul the bail granted by the High Court to extremists who burned and devastated the Christian area "Joseph Colony" in Lahore in March 2013: is what the application made to the Lahore High Court calls for by a group of lawyers representing the unfortunate people who suffered injuries and violence.
"The case - the lawyers of the NGO LEAD say to Fides Agency - is registered as 'arson' and falls under the Anti-Terrorism Act. Very few extremists who participated in the stake have been arrested, many of them have already obtained bail. On the other hand, the Christian Sawan Masih, accused of blasphemy - is the case that sparked, at the time, the reaction of the radicals - has been sentenced to death unjustly. We should not forget the case of Asia Bibi, a trial which still awaits appeal and has been postponed several times. "These are not good signs for the Pakistani society: "Pakistan - explains lawyer Sardar Mushtaq Gill - is not only faced with a series of attacks against minorities: it is facing the challenge of a general destabilization of the country. It is urgent that the government is committed to eradicating terrorism. Pakistani Christians want to live in a state that is not fundamentalist, and where religious minorities are safe". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/06/2014)
- 2015-03-30 - 20 victims of the attacks on the churches in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-28 - Christian leaders: a Commission of inquiry regarding the massacre in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-26 - The Jinnah Institute: "Continuous and constant violence against religious minorities"
- 2015-03-26 - Guaranteed education to Shama and Shehzad’s children, Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-03-25 - Two Christians accused of the lynching of two suspected terrorists
- 2015-03-25 - Shots fired against agents in front of St. Peter’s church in Lahore
- 2015-03-24 - The General Vicar of Lahore: "Release the innocent among the Christians arrested"
- 2015-03-23 - The case of the young Christian tortured and killed by the police goes unpunished
- 2015-03-20 - The pastor of Youhanabad: "Critical situation, let us pray with the Via Crucis"
- 2015-03-17 - The Archbishop of Lahore at the funeral of the victims of Youhanabad: "Be men of peace"