ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail for Islamic extremists who burned the Christian area
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Annul the bail granted by the High Court to extremists who burned and devastated the Christian area "Joseph Colony" in Lahore in March 2013: is what the application made to the Lahore High Court calls for by a group of lawyers representing the unfortunate people who suffered injuries and violence.
"The case - the lawyers of the NGO LEAD say to Fides Agency - is registered as 'arson' and falls under the Anti-Terrorism Act. Very few extremists who participated in the stake have been arrested, many of them have already obtained bail. On the other hand, the Christian Sawan Masih, accused of blasphemy - is the case that sparked, at the time, the reaction of the radicals - has been sentenced to death unjustly. We should not forget the case of Asia Bibi, a trial which still awaits appeal and has been postponed several times. "These are not good signs for the Pakistani society: "Pakistan - explains lawyer Sardar Mushtaq Gill - is not only faced with a series of attacks against minorities: it is facing the challenge of a general destabilization of the country. It is urgent that the government is committed to eradicating terrorism. Pakistani Christians want to live in a state that is not fundamentalist, and where religious minorities are safe". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/06/2014)
- 2014-09-17 - The Commission "Justice and Peace": stop the executioner, Pakistan must not go back in time
- 2014-09-11 - Christian family flees to save their daughters from forced conversion to Islam
- 2014-09-10 - Severe floods, Caritas sends volunteers
- 2014-09-09 - Postponed until October 16 next hearing for the Asia Bibi appeal
- 2014-09-08 - 9 September, date for next hearing in the trial of Asia Bibi
- 2014-09-08 - False accusations of blasphemy, later withdrawn, against 31 Christians in a Punjab village
- 2014-09-05 - Two Christian women abducted, forced to convert to Islam and marry Muslim men
- 2014-08-21 - Violence against minorities: a 12-year-old Christian girl raped by a gang
- 2014-08-20 - Christian leaders in Pakistan: "The international community must wake up"
- 2014-07-28 - "Terrorism and intolerance are the wounds of Pakistan"