ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail for Islamic extremists who burned the Christian area
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Annul the bail granted by the High Court to extremists who burned and devastated the Christian area "Joseph Colony" in Lahore in March 2013: is what the application made to the Lahore High Court calls for by a group of lawyers representing the unfortunate people who suffered injuries and violence.
"The case - the lawyers of the NGO LEAD say to Fides Agency - is registered as 'arson' and falls under the Anti-Terrorism Act. Very few extremists who participated in the stake have been arrested, many of them have already obtained bail. On the other hand, the Christian Sawan Masih, accused of blasphemy - is the case that sparked, at the time, the reaction of the radicals - has been sentenced to death unjustly. We should not forget the case of Asia Bibi, a trial which still awaits appeal and has been postponed several times. "These are not good signs for the Pakistani society: "Pakistan - explains lawyer Sardar Mushtaq Gill - is not only faced with a series of attacks against minorities: it is facing the challenge of a general destabilization of the country. It is urgent that the government is committed to eradicating terrorism. Pakistani Christians want to live in a state that is not fundamentalist, and where religious minorities are safe". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/06/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - Asia Bibi’s sentence damages tolerance in Pakistan
- 2014-10-22 - Interreligious marriage canceled after threats to a young married couple
- 2014-10-21 - Too many interests behind Asia Bibi’s case: the truth of the facts are covered up
- 2014-10-17 - The Church: "Asia Bibi sentenced, but hope is alive"
- 2014-10-16 - Asia Bibi’s death sentence confirmed by the Court of Appeal
- 2014-10-15 - Islamic extremists object to an interfaith marriage with violence
- 2014-10-13 - A court hearing for Asia Bibi
- 2014-10-13 - A regional system for the protection of human rights in South Asia is necessary
- 2014-10-10 - Nobel Peace Prize to Malala "recalls women's rights and the right to education"
- 2014-10-07 - The Islamic State makes its way in Pakistan: Christians respond with prayer