ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail for Islamic extremists who burned the Christian area
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Annul the bail granted by the High Court to extremists who burned and devastated the Christian area "Joseph Colony" in Lahore in March 2013: is what the application made to the Lahore High Court calls for by a group of lawyers representing the unfortunate people who suffered injuries and violence.
"The case - the lawyers of the NGO LEAD say to Fides Agency - is registered as 'arson' and falls under the Anti-Terrorism Act. Very few extremists who participated in the stake have been arrested, many of them have already obtained bail. On the other hand, the Christian Sawan Masih, accused of blasphemy - is the case that sparked, at the time, the reaction of the radicals - has been sentenced to death unjustly. We should not forget the case of Asia Bibi, a trial which still awaits appeal and has been postponed several times. "These are not good signs for the Pakistani society: "Pakistan - explains lawyer Sardar Mushtaq Gill - is not only faced with a series of attacks against minorities: it is facing the challenge of a general destabilization of the country. It is urgent that the government is committed to eradicating terrorism. Pakistani Christians want to live in a state that is not fundamentalist, and where religious minorities are safe". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/06/2014)
- 2014-11-25 - Christian tortured and killed while in police custody
- 2014-11-24 - Christian couple burned alive: the Supreme Court intervenes
- 2014-11-20 - Violence against minorities: the governor of Punjab meets religious leaders
- 2014-11-19 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – From the Bishops a "Magna Charta" to the government: to curb religious intolerance
- 2014-11-18 - Christian and Muslim leaders: it is urgent to amend the blasphemy law
- 2014-11-17 - Christian arrested for blasphemy; investigation into the murder of Kasur continues
- 2014-11-14 - Blasphemy in Pakistan, data on victims: who will pay off all the suffering?
- 2014-11-13 - Christian and Muslim leaders: justice and prayer for the couple burned alive
- 2014-11-12 - The state has given the St. Francis school back to the Church
- 2014-11-10 - Christians protest: "Punish the muggers of Kasur and repeal the blasphemy law"