ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail for Islamic extremists who burned the Christian area
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Annul the bail granted by the High Court to extremists who burned and devastated the Christian area "Joseph Colony" in Lahore in March 2013: is what the application made to the Lahore High Court calls for by a group of lawyers representing the unfortunate people who suffered injuries and violence.
"The case - the lawyers of the NGO LEAD say to Fides Agency - is registered as 'arson' and falls under the Anti-Terrorism Act. Very few extremists who participated in the stake have been arrested, many of them have already obtained bail. On the other hand, the Christian Sawan Masih, accused of blasphemy - is the case that sparked, at the time, the reaction of the radicals - has been sentenced to death unjustly. We should not forget the case of Asia Bibi, a trial which still awaits appeal and has been postponed several times. "These are not good signs for the Pakistani society: "Pakistan - explains lawyer Sardar Mushtaq Gill - is not only faced with a series of attacks against minorities: it is facing the challenge of a general destabilization of the country. It is urgent that the government is committed to eradicating terrorism. Pakistani Christians want to live in a state that is not fundamentalist, and where religious minorities are safe". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/06/2014)
- 2015-01-28 - Taseer murder, justice to the test
- 2015-01-26 - New church dedicated to Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, in an area where poor families live
- 2015-01-17 - Conversions and forced marriages legitimized by the High Court
- 2015-01-16 - The Director of a Christian magazine: "With the Pope we say no to the vilification of Islam"
- 2015-01-13 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A mentally disabled man killed on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-01-12 - A hall of Christian worship set on fire: faithful in terror
- 2015-01-08 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Attack in Paris: "Not in the name of Allah"
- 2015-01-07 - Hundreds of children are starving to death because of the drought in the south of the Country
- 2014-12-29 - Anti-terrorism Committee: no religious minority representatives
- 2014-12-23 - Share of government jobs reserved for minorities: still an illusion