AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The United States Catholic Bishops' Conference has announced the allocation of $1.7 million to support 112 projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. "Through the generosity of Catholics all over the country, we can continue our mission of supporting the Church in Latin America", said in a statement sent to Fides, the Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle, His Exc. Mgr. Eusebio Elizondo, who presides the Sub-Committee of the Episcopal Conference that takes care of this region.
The countries that will benefit from these funds are: Colombia, Haiti, Peru, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Nicaragua. The 112 projects cover different areas: in Colombia the Church is committed to supporting youth organizations working "to build peace in the face of violence caused by local guerrilla"; Peru will support the seminarians who come from very poor families and ethnic groups in the country; in Brazil missionaries will receive formation and support for their work with indigenous communities in the Amazon. The Bishops have approved six projects for the "reconstruction of the Church in Haiti", with a contribution of almost $ 3 million. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away
- 2015-03-20 - Bishops of the diocese on the border: enough with violence and more attention towards the youth
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"