AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The United States Catholic Bishops' Conference has announced the allocation of $1.7 million to support 112 projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. "Through the generosity of Catholics all over the country, we can continue our mission of supporting the Church in Latin America", said in a statement sent to Fides, the Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle, His Exc. Mgr. Eusebio Elizondo, who presides the Sub-Committee of the Episcopal Conference that takes care of this region.
The countries that will benefit from these funds are: Colombia, Haiti, Peru, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Nicaragua. The 112 projects cover different areas: in Colombia the Church is committed to supporting youth organizations working "to build peace in the face of violence caused by local guerrilla"; Peru will support the seminarians who come from very poor families and ethnic groups in the country; in Brazil missionaries will receive formation and support for their work with indigenous communities in the Amazon. The Bishops have approved six projects for the "reconstruction of the Church in Haiti", with a contribution of almost $ 3 million. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"
- 2014-07-08 - Forum on Migration: analysis of the reality and operational proposals are being studied
- 2014-06-28 - Solidarity of Churches for the humanitarian emergency of immigrant children
- 2014-06-24 - Over 160 thousand immigrants in Texas, 37 thousand children are alone
- 2014-06-24 - Children and young immigrants in the U.S.A: "They are not seeking adventure, they are fleeing from a war"
- 2014-06-17 - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics
- 2014-06-13 - A priest killed and another seriously injured in Phoenix
- 2014-06-11 - The plight of child migrants from Central America and forced to repatriate