AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The United States Catholic Bishops' Conference has announced the allocation of $1.7 million to support 112 projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. "Through the generosity of Catholics all over the country, we can continue our mission of supporting the Church in Latin America", said in a statement sent to Fides, the Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle, His Exc. Mgr. Eusebio Elizondo, who presides the Sub-Committee of the Episcopal Conference that takes care of this region.
The countries that will benefit from these funds are: Colombia, Haiti, Peru, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Nicaragua. The 112 projects cover different areas: in Colombia the Church is committed to supporting youth organizations working "to build peace in the face of violence caused by local guerrilla"; Peru will support the seminarians who come from very poor families and ethnic groups in the country; in Brazil missionaries will receive formation and support for their work with indigenous communities in the Amazon. The Bishops have approved six projects for the "reconstruction of the Church in Haiti", with a contribution of almost $ 3 million. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"