AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The United States Catholic Bishops' Conference has announced the allocation of $1.7 million to support 112 projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. "Through the generosity of Catholics all over the country, we can continue our mission of supporting the Church in Latin America", said in a statement sent to Fides, the Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle, His Exc. Mgr. Eusebio Elizondo, who presides the Sub-Committee of the Episcopal Conference that takes care of this region.
The countries that will benefit from these funds are: Colombia, Haiti, Peru, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Nicaragua. The 112 projects cover different areas: in Colombia the Church is committed to supporting youth organizations working "to build peace in the face of violence caused by local guerrilla"; Peru will support the seminarians who come from very poor families and ethnic groups in the country; in Brazil missionaries will receive formation and support for their work with indigenous communities in the Amazon. The Bishops have approved six projects for the "reconstruction of the Church in Haiti", with a contribution of almost $ 3 million. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families