AMERICA/BRAZIL - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Bishops of Brazil (CNBB), the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB) and Caritas Brazil have been working together for a long time for a series of solidarity activities with the Haitian people. Periodically, the Episcopal Commission for the missionary activity and Inter-ecclesial cooperation of the CNBB sends one of its representatives to the Caribbean country in order to see for themselves the realization of social inclusion initiatives. This year, according to the note sent to Fides, the representative of the Commission who will travel to Haiti is Sister Dirce Gomes da Silva.
"Since the earthquake in January 2010, the CNBB and Caritas have raised funds once a year, with a national collection to help Haiti and to prepare a group of nuns that could monitor the recovery of the communities of Port-au-Prince", said the Bishop of Ponta Grossa (Brazil), who is the President of the Episcopal Commission for Missionary action and Inter-Ecclesial cooperation of the CNBB, Mgr. Sergio Braschi.
The sisters in Haiti promote a permanent missionary work, supporting people who are suffering the many effects of poverty and lack of infrastructure, which was exacerbated by the earthquake. An important aspect of missionary work is carried out by the commitment to helping people regain their dignity, improve self-esteem, to rebuild their hopes and their projects. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues