AMERICA/BRAZIL - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Bishops of Brazil (CNBB), the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB) and Caritas Brazil have been working together for a long time for a series of solidarity activities with the Haitian people. Periodically, the Episcopal Commission for the missionary activity and Inter-ecclesial cooperation of the CNBB sends one of its representatives to the Caribbean country in order to see for themselves the realization of social inclusion initiatives. This year, according to the note sent to Fides, the representative of the Commission who will travel to Haiti is Sister Dirce Gomes da Silva.
"Since the earthquake in January 2010, the CNBB and Caritas have raised funds once a year, with a national collection to help Haiti and to prepare a group of nuns that could monitor the recovery of the communities of Port-au-Prince", said the Bishop of Ponta Grossa (Brazil), who is the President of the Episcopal Commission for Missionary action and Inter-Ecclesial cooperation of the CNBB, Mgr. Sergio Braschi.
The sisters in Haiti promote a permanent missionary work, supporting people who are suffering the many effects of poverty and lack of infrastructure, which was exacerbated by the earthquake. An important aspect of missionary work is carried out by the commitment to helping people regain their dignity, improve self-esteem, to rebuild their hopes and their projects. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age
- 2015-09-03 - The memory of the missionary Fr. Ezechiele Ramin is still alive even 30 years after his assassination
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang