AMERICA/BRAZIL - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Bishops of Brazil (CNBB), the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB) and Caritas Brazil have been working together for a long time for a series of solidarity activities with the Haitian people. Periodically, the Episcopal Commission for the missionary activity and Inter-ecclesial cooperation of the CNBB sends one of its representatives to the Caribbean country in order to see for themselves the realization of social inclusion initiatives. This year, according to the note sent to Fides, the representative of the Commission who will travel to Haiti is Sister Dirce Gomes da Silva.
"Since the earthquake in January 2010, the CNBB and Caritas have raised funds once a year, with a national collection to help Haiti and to prepare a group of nuns that could monitor the recovery of the communities of Port-au-Prince", said the Bishop of Ponta Grossa (Brazil), who is the President of the Episcopal Commission for Missionary action and Inter-Ecclesial cooperation of the CNBB, Mgr. Sergio Braschi.
The sisters in Haiti promote a permanent missionary work, supporting people who are suffering the many effects of poverty and lack of infrastructure, which was exacerbated by the earthquake. An important aspect of missionary work is carried out by the commitment to helping people regain their dignity, improve self-esteem, to rebuild their hopes and their projects. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate