AMERICA/BRAZIL - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Bishops of Brazil (CNBB), the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB) and Caritas Brazil have been working together for a long time for a series of solidarity activities with the Haitian people. Periodically, the Episcopal Commission for the missionary activity and Inter-ecclesial cooperation of the CNBB sends one of its representatives to the Caribbean country in order to see for themselves the realization of social inclusion initiatives. This year, according to the note sent to Fides, the representative of the Commission who will travel to Haiti is Sister Dirce Gomes da Silva.
"Since the earthquake in January 2010, the CNBB and Caritas have raised funds once a year, with a national collection to help Haiti and to prepare a group of nuns that could monitor the recovery of the communities of Port-au-Prince", said the Bishop of Ponta Grossa (Brazil), who is the President of the Episcopal Commission for Missionary action and Inter-Ecclesial cooperation of the CNBB, Mgr. Sergio Braschi.
The sisters in Haiti promote a permanent missionary work, supporting people who are suffering the many effects of poverty and lack of infrastructure, which was exacerbated by the earthquake. An important aspect of missionary work is carried out by the commitment to helping people regain their dignity, improve self-esteem, to rebuild their hopes and their projects. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/06/2014)
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Franciscan Sister murdered
- 2015-07-23 - Mission Campaign 2015: material ready
- 2015-07-21 - The water crisis threatens millions of people
- 2015-07-20 - A video documents the first missionary experience of young people in the Amazon
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future