AFRICA/SENEGAL - "Do not give in to vote trading" Bishops' appeal in view of the elections on 29 June
Dakar (Agenzia Fides) - "Do not give in to the temptation of vote trading" say the Catholic Bishops of Senegal, with a statement of His Exc. Mgr. Benjamin Ndiaye, Bishop of Kaolack and President of the Episcopal Conference of Senegal, Mauritania, Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau.
"The Bishops invite the sons and daughters of the country to use the voter registration cards not as a bargaining chip, but as a means to participate in the construction of the city, voting freely according to conscience", said Mgr. Ndiaye.
The President of the Episcopal Conference also urges politicians and citizens to promote peace and the common good, respect of others and their opinions, noting that this year's local elections are important for territorial reforms envisaged.
The Diocesan Council of the Laity of the Archdiocese of Dakar, has launched an appeal so that the vote to be held on June 29 is peaceful, free and fair. Recalling the serious incidents that marked the presidential election two years ago (facts "never recorded in the history of our Country"), the Council of the Laity appeals "to all the players involved in the electoral competition to work for a civil campaign, respectful of democratic and social norms, in order to establish a local government which is the promoter of the common good and respect for the harmonious development of the population". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/06/2014)
- 2015-09-11 - The rains have caused severe damage to church structures in Mbour; controversy over the lack of relief
- 2015-08-28 - Catholic Students are protagonists of "positive change"
- 2015-05-19 - "Radio Mercy" launched, the web-radio of the Catholic Senegalese Church
- 2015-01-23 - AFRICA/SENEGAL – Bishops: "No to violence in God's name, but be careful not to offend religious feelings"
- 2015-01-13 - Over 10,000 children at the yearly pilgrimage organized by Missionary Childhood
- 2015-01-12 - Casamance: "Stalemate, the peace process must be relaunched" says the Bishop of Ziguinchor
- 2014-11-13 - "Dialogue between Christians and Muslims is possible, but must be nurtured constantly", said Mgr. Ndiaye
- 2014-09-29 - "Twelve years after the tragedy of the ferry Joola, ships are still overloaded and continue to travel" denounces the Church
- 2014-09-01 - Ebola: “Keep watch, do not panic” says the local Church
- 2014-06-16 - "Do not give in to vote trading" Bishops' appeal in view of the elections on 29 June