ASIA/PAKISTAN - Multan welcomes the new Apostolic Administrator, who has the "Heart of a Shepherd"
Multan (Agenzia Fides) - In a solemn celebration, in the presence of the clergy, religious and hundreds of faithful, the diocese of Multan in Punjab province, will welcome tomorrow, June 15, the new Apostolic Administrator: we are talking about Fr. Benny Travas, Vicar general of the Archdiocese of Karachi, newly appointed after the resignation of the local bishop, Mgr. Andrew Francis, for health reasons. As Fides learns, the Apostolic Nuncio, His Exc. Mgr. Edgar Pena Parra, and the Archbishop of Lahore, Mgr. Sebastian Shaw will be present at the ceremony.
As reported to Fides by the local Church, the appointment will mean a renewal for the diocesan pastoral of Multan: Fr. Benny is known for his tireless service as a parish priest in Karachi, a very difficult and violent city, where he was loved for his quality of "Good Shepherd" and the strong closeness to the people. Fr. Travas was also a professor of canon law at the National Institute of Theology in Karachi. In his long pastoral experience, Fr. Travas has always characterized his work for the encouragement and the centrality given to the Catholic laity, a priority that he will bring with him in the new service as Pastor in Multan. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2014-11-25 - Christian tortured and killed while in police custody
- 2014-11-24 - Christian couple burned alive: the Supreme Court intervenes
- 2014-11-20 - Violence against minorities: the governor of Punjab meets religious leaders
- 2014-11-19 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – From the Bishops a "Magna Charta" to the government: to curb religious intolerance
- 2014-11-18 - Christian and Muslim leaders: it is urgent to amend the blasphemy law
- 2014-11-17 - Christian arrested for blasphemy; investigation into the murder of Kasur continues
- 2014-11-14 - Blasphemy in Pakistan, data on victims: who will pay off all the suffering?
- 2014-11-13 - Christian and Muslim leaders: justice and prayer for the couple burned alive
- 2014-11-12 - The state has given the St. Francis school back to the Church
- 2014-11-10 - Christians protest: "Punish the muggers of Kasur and repeal the blasphemy law"