ASIA/PAKISTAN - Multan welcomes the new Apostolic Administrator, who has the "Heart of a Shepherd"
Multan (Agenzia Fides) - In a solemn celebration, in the presence of the clergy, religious and hundreds of faithful, the diocese of Multan in Punjab province, will welcome tomorrow, June 15, the new Apostolic Administrator: we are talking about Fr. Benny Travas, Vicar general of the Archdiocese of Karachi, newly appointed after the resignation of the local bishop, Mgr. Andrew Francis, for health reasons. As Fides learns, the Apostolic Nuncio, His Exc. Mgr. Edgar Pena Parra, and the Archbishop of Lahore, Mgr. Sebastian Shaw will be present at the ceremony.
As reported to Fides by the local Church, the appointment will mean a renewal for the diocesan pastoral of Multan: Fr. Benny is known for his tireless service as a parish priest in Karachi, a very difficult and violent city, where he was loved for his quality of "Good Shepherd" and the strong closeness to the people. Fr. Travas was also a professor of canon law at the National Institute of Theology in Karachi. In his long pastoral experience, Fr. Travas has always characterized his work for the encouragement and the centrality given to the Catholic laity, a priority that he will bring with him in the new service as Pastor in Multan. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2015-02-25 - New Amnesty Report: "Religious intolerance increases"
- 2015-02-23 - Robbery and kidnapping in a Catholic church
- 2015-02-17 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Women’s Day in Faisalabad: greater rights and dignity for working women
- 2015-02-16 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Expectation for appeal verdict for the murderer of governor Taseer
- 2015-02-13 - Blasphemy: the judiciary in Punjab lists 50 unfounded cases and organizes rapid trials
- 2015-02-10 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "Blessed are the parents who teach love, not hatred to their children"
- 2015-01-31 - "Ensuring security and justice for minorities": New Report by Human Rights Watch
- 2015-01-30 - Anti-Charlie Hebdo protesters storm Christian school
- 2015-01-29 - Legal battle for the custody of the children of the Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-01-28 - Taseer murder, justice to the test