ASIA/INDIA - A Bishop: "Communicating the truth, without exagerating with violence against Christians"
Baruipur (Agenzia Fides) - "The Indian Church seeks to proclaim the gospel with the media which are today a powerful means of evangelization in Indian society": says to Fides Agency Mgr. Salvadore Lobo, Bishop of Baruipur, who is about to begin his service as President of the "Commission for Social Communications" in the Indian Bishops' Conference.
"We live in a world that has dramatically increased the speed of communication. The Church can be present in the agora of the media in order to make Christ known, who is the Way, the Truth and Life", says the Bishop explaining the guidelines of his new service.
Faith and the Christian message – he notes - are appreciated in India, "although there is sporadic violence against the faithful, by extremist groups". "To carry out a good service, in these cases – he remarks - is to tell the truth, without exaggerating with episodes of violence". The Church is present in India "with enormous efforts regarding social services to people of all religions", says the Bishop, announcing his commitment to improve communication in the media, Catholics and non-Catholics, in all the dioceses of the vast nation. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - The Indian Bishops: "We would be happy for the canonization of Mother Teresa"
- 2015-05-16 - Five attacks in five days against the Christians in Madhya Pradesh
- 2015-05-06 - 35 per cent children in India have poor lung capacity
- 2015-04-22 - Catholic schools are not "against Hindu culture"
- 2015-04-17 - Vandalizing acts against a Catholic church in Uttar Pradesh
- 2015-04-13 - Hindu extremist leader: "Sterilise Christians and Muslims in India"
- 2015-04-01 - Flood emergency in Kashmir
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"