AFRICA/CONGO DR - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Civil society in North Kivu is "very concerned about the deterioration of the security situation in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo due to the new attacks and incursions of the Rwandese army", said a statement sent to Fides Agency. The statement denounced the occupation on behalf of the troops of Rwanda and the attack committed on the morning of June 11 at the Congolese army posts in the town of Kabagana, with the aim to conquer a hill in a strategic position.
The President of the Civil Society of Nyiragongo was captured by troops from Rwanda, the statement added. The intervention of the Congolese army allowed us to release him, but the man was seriously injured in the fighting. Civil society in North Kivu calls for an intervention of international organizations, especially from the UN".
The clashes between the two armies lasted two days, 11 and 12 June. Rwanda accuses the Congolese military of having entered its territory. An accusation denied from Kinshasa that argues that it was the military in Kigali that caused accidents by invading some Congolese locations. Rwanda has delivered the bodies to the Congolese Red Cross of the five alleged Congolese military who died in the clashes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"