AFRICA/CONGO DR - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Civil society in North Kivu is "very concerned about the deterioration of the security situation in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo due to the new attacks and incursions of the Rwandese army", said a statement sent to Fides Agency. The statement denounced the occupation on behalf of the troops of Rwanda and the attack committed on the morning of June 11 at the Congolese army posts in the town of Kabagana, with the aim to conquer a hill in a strategic position.
The President of the Civil Society of Nyiragongo was captured by troops from Rwanda, the statement added. The intervention of the Congolese army allowed us to release him, but the man was seriously injured in the fighting. Civil society in North Kivu calls for an intervention of international organizations, especially from the UN".
The clashes between the two armies lasted two days, 11 and 12 June. Rwanda accuses the Congolese military of having entered its territory. An accusation denied from Kinshasa that argues that it was the military in Kigali that caused accidents by invading some Congolese locations. Rwanda has delivered the bodies to the Congolese Red Cross of the five alleged Congolese military who died in the clashes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"
- 2014-06-13 - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
- 2014-06-12 - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
- 2014-06-09 - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012