AFRICA/CONGO DR - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Civil society in North Kivu is "very concerned about the deterioration of the security situation in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo due to the new attacks and incursions of the Rwandese army", said a statement sent to Fides Agency. The statement denounced the occupation on behalf of the troops of Rwanda and the attack committed on the morning of June 11 at the Congolese army posts in the town of Kabagana, with the aim to conquer a hill in a strategic position.
The President of the Civil Society of Nyiragongo was captured by troops from Rwanda, the statement added. The intervention of the Congolese army allowed us to release him, but the man was seriously injured in the fighting. Civil society in North Kivu calls for an intervention of international organizations, especially from the UN".
The clashes between the two armies lasted two days, 11 and 12 June. Rwanda accuses the Congolese military of having entered its territory. An accusation denied from Kinshasa that argues that it was the military in Kigali that caused accidents by invading some Congolese locations. Rwanda has delivered the bodies to the Congolese Red Cross of the five alleged Congolese military who died in the clashes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years
- 2015-02-12 - A UN report highlights the international links of the Congolese guerrillas
- 2015-02-05 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops ask for a clear electoral calendar
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue