AFRICA/CONGO DR - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Civil society in North Kivu is "very concerned about the deterioration of the security situation in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo due to the new attacks and incursions of the Rwandese army", said a statement sent to Fides Agency. The statement denounced the occupation on behalf of the troops of Rwanda and the attack committed on the morning of June 11 at the Congolese army posts in the town of Kabagana, with the aim to conquer a hill in a strategic position.
The President of the Civil Society of Nyiragongo was captured by troops from Rwanda, the statement added. The intervention of the Congolese army allowed us to release him, but the man was seriously injured in the fighting. Civil society in North Kivu calls for an intervention of international organizations, especially from the UN".
The clashes between the two armies lasted two days, 11 and 12 June. Rwanda accuses the Congolese military of having entered its territory. An accusation denied from Kinshasa that argues that it was the military in Kigali that caused accidents by invading some Congolese locations. Rwanda has delivered the bodies to the Congolese Red Cross of the five alleged Congolese military who died in the clashes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue