AFRICA/CONGO DR - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Civil society in North Kivu is "very concerned about the deterioration of the security situation in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo due to the new attacks and incursions of the Rwandese army", said a statement sent to Fides Agency. The statement denounced the occupation on behalf of the troops of Rwanda and the attack committed on the morning of June 11 at the Congolese army posts in the town of Kabagana, with the aim to conquer a hill in a strategic position.
The President of the Civil Society of Nyiragongo was captured by troops from Rwanda, the statement added. The intervention of the Congolese army allowed us to release him, but the man was seriously injured in the fighting. Civil society in North Kivu calls for an intervention of international organizations, especially from the UN".
The clashes between the two armies lasted two days, 11 and 12 June. Rwanda accuses the Congolese military of having entered its territory. An accusation denied from Kinshasa that argues that it was the military in Kigali that caused accidents by invading some Congolese locations. Rwanda has delivered the bodies to the Congolese Red Cross of the five alleged Congolese military who died in the clashes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society
- 2014-11-05 - New massacres in Beni, the people are exasperated and protest in the streets
- 2014-11-03 - Constitutional Amendment: Kinshasa looks at what is happening in Ouagadougou
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability